Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:23 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Wave vs. Bravo
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:40 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I've had a Wave for almost 20 years and have loved it but I'm thinking getting a Bravo for the easier portability. I'll still keep the Wave. For those that have, or had both how do they compare with regards to:
1. Portability
2. Speed
3. Space - how many adults or kids can you fit on Bravo
4. Overall happiness with Bravo

Post subject: Re: Wave vs. Bravo
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:41 pm 
Site Admin

1. Portability - Yes, very quick to rig too.
2. Speed - Slower than the Wave. More effort to sail in the breeze. Narrow hull / more hiking required.
3. Space - how many adults or kids can you fit on Bravo - Site says 1-2
4. Overall happiness with Bravo - I love the Wave.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:47 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Never been on a Wave, but I've got a Getaway. I've sailed a Bravo.

Bravo would be a fun, quick to setup, solo boat. I sailed it with my daughter, who was a teenager at the time. We were pretty crowded. Maybe 2 smallish adults, or an adult and preteen child would work. Good for smaller lakes. I was kind of thinking of getting a Bravo to sail at my local pond (my Getaway is too much boat for it), but then was given a Sunfish. IMHO, the Bravo is like a Sunfish in capability, setup, and speed.

Too many canoes and kayaks

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:16 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Bravo is fun, certainly faster, more stable than a sunfish. Best part is you can go from trailer/truckbed to sailing in 3 minutes, possibly less.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:03 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I've owned both a Bravo and a Wave. Here are some additional observations, strictly between those two.

- Bravo is unbelievably simple to rig & launch.

- Even if you think it is just for you and one other person, your friends or family will eventually disagree and want to come along. The Wave is much better suited for guests. 3 others comfortably but I've added an extra kid before. You just go much slower for all added weight.

- The Bravo is tippy in stronger winds. I've never flipped the Wave without purposefully testing its limits for speed. Even if things start to go bad, you typically have time to correct it. The heavy hulls make it very forgiving. If your pushing it on the Bravo, there can sometimes be no time to react. I've also flipped the Bravo a couple of times unexpectedly (not pushing it) with my wife onboard during a jibe or tack gone wrong. That being said, flipping should just be considered part of the fun when you sail a dingy sized boat.

- We traded for a Wave after two summers with the Bravo. I loved that little boat but I didn't like refusing friends or having to take out only one friend at a time. Also, I wanted to be able to go faster, handle some bigger winds and fly a hull with less chance of flipping (unless I deserve it.)

- I'm 6' and in pretty good shape. 9 times out of ten, I can drag the Wave myself without much serious effort. However on soft terrain, you will appreciated some kind of sliding surface or beach wheels to drag a Wave any distance. I've never been unable to pull it completely myself but I've sweated and cursed pretty hard in soft, wet sand. I never felt the need for assistance with the Bravo. Soon after buying the Wave, I made some very cheap sliders that I use on any tough spots.

Both boats are awesome but I think the Wave is more versatile if you are not specifically looking for a dingy type experience, (which some people love.) A Wave is still small enough to move and sail yourself but it can carry a few extra friends and it can handle a windier day, thus giving you more time on the water.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 1:25 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I bought a Bravo for my return to sailing after 40 years. Bucket List item, if you will. The furling sail is what attracted me and it has been very helpful in my return. Yes, it is stupid easy to rig and launch also fun to sail. I will upgrade to a Wave ASAP for this reason and I never even thought of this, The plastic hull is very hard on my old bones and joints, so I'm looking forward to a boat with a trampoline, I hope anyway. :D