Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:00 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:28 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have sailed a Hobie Wave for a number of years, and always had a problem tacking and gybing in higher winds. Sailing is easy, turning is an adventure. In general, I find the Wave doesn't tack well, so in low/medium winds I prefer to gybe. But as we all know, gybing is an adventure in higher winds. Through trial and error, (and this may be second nature to other sailers), I do the following: when tacking: push the traveler out to the far leeward side, uncleat, generate some speed into the tack, and when I switch sides, grab the uncleated sail and literally pull/curl the sail to windward on the new windward side. It works!

For gybes, I put the traveler close to exact center, keep it cleated, and try to turn as fast as possible, and then grab sail and/or mainsheet and lean back to reduce the shock on the rigging/boat when the wind hits full force.

Hope this reduces the learning curve for someone out there.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:28 am 
Site Admin

The travel out idea seems contrary to norm. Usually, you should have the sail sheets and generating speed close-hauled to the wind. Turn slowly as not to hit the breaks!. Then hardware as the bow comes across. Then sheet all the way out to allow the bow to continue the tack through the wind. Then sheet slowly on the new tack to get some speed up before sheeting harder.

Tacking FAQ:

https://www.hobie.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=60322

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)