Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:40 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Wave Jib Rigging
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 5:30 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi,
New to the forum. Just bought a Wave but owned a 16 many years ago.

I'm wanting to move my jib sheet cleats from the tramp area up to the front crossbar. Has anyone here done that and does it make sense? Seems that if I install them per instructions, they will always be in the way. Thanks for any help.

Dave

Post subject: Re: Wave Jib Rigging
PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:57 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

That's probably impossible given how short the bows are. Your jib would have to be a custom "super tiny" blade jib given the limited space. Even the stock jib overlaps the mast/mainsail/front crossbar.

The stock jib has an elevated clew, so to keep the tension the same both on the foot and the leech, the clew must be pulled back to the where Hobie advises you to attach the jib cleats.

Some time ago, another forum poster made a custom jib with a lower clew which allowed the jib cleats to be mounted a bit forward similar to a H16, but even that one overlapped the mast/main/front crossbar. His solution was to mount a stainless steel cable between the recommended mounting point and the front crossbar.

Here is a video of his creation:

But if you do that with the stock job with the elevated clew, it would probably place too much tension on the leech and not enough along the foot.

One of the most important "mods" to make on the installation of the jib is to install jib hanks to keep the luff from bending. Maybe have a look at this from Victor Warrior:

That's pretty much my set-up and it works well. Or go all out and follow his subsequent video (that some may consider over the top a bit):

The page at the following link has an example of a small "blade jib" that can have the cleats mounted on the crossbar, but note that it would provide diminished power due to its small size. In the case below it was intended to be used in tandem with a large hooter sail:

https://www.catsailor.com/waves/superwave_overall.html

Image:

Post subject: Re: Wave Jib Rigging
PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:22 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the reply. I will stick with the stock version. Great points, thanks again, much appreciated.