Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:16 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:52 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Question - I noticed today on my older wave that when out of the water and the rudders on when I have them "centered" and in the "
up" position both blades tilt noticeably inward a little.

I have the older style set up.

Is that correct? I'm wondering if the center bar between the two arms might have been replace with one too long or something and if I need to adjust.

I hate to lose any speed in slower winds :-)

(Maybe this is a Matt question?)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:43 pm 
Site Admin

You need to measure rudder alignment with the rudders down.

FAQ: https://www.hobie.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=467

Tiller arms can get bent and for sure someone could have used the wrong tiller crossbar.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:23 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

It says this: "RUDDER ALIGNMENT -

Check rudder alignment in the direction of travel. Proper rudder alignment would be 1/8" to 1/4" toe-in on a 14 or 16. This is measured with the rudders down. Measure leading edge to leading edge and then trailing edge to trailing edge. The front (toe) should be closer together than the trailing edge. Measure at about the little hump on the leading edge and straight back from there for the trailing edge. It is always possible that the rudders are actually mounted on the reverse hulls. That causes extreme toe-in problems. Look at the upper casting / arms to be sure they angle in towards the boat's centerline when the rudders are in alignment with the hulls."

1) Is this the same for the wave?
2) If yes then I suspect mine is out materially. I'll measure next time. Since in the up position mine are tilted INWARDS that means they are out in the opposite direction the are supposed to be. ie the connection cross bar is too long by a tad and pushing the rudder arms apart too far (thus they are tilted inward vs outward)

I'll measure it next outing and bring a saw to trim the cross bar as needed to get the measurement right. My guess is maybe someone before me replaced with one from a different boat with a tiny difference in width.

Every bit helps :-)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:06 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

leemark607 wrote:

1) Is this the same for the wave?
2) Since in the up position mine are tilted INWARDS that means they are out in the opposite direction the are supposed to be.

The procedure is the same for every type of Hobie. As Matt mentioned, you need to take the measurement with the rudders locked down. Leave the boat on the trailer and put the trailer tongue on the ground. This usually provides enough clearance to lock the rudders down on the trailer. Then have someone help you take the measurements. They need to be taken at the same height on each rudder at the leading and trailing edges.

sm

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:38 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

LOL yeah mine is a classic wave not a club wave. Need to assemble hulls/tramp on beach in a spot so back end is up. THEN i can take measurement.
Will bring tools with me.....

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:27 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Of course you know that the rudders are left and right .I wasn’t paying attention and reversed them it noticeably throws them off a bit , they are stamped near the cam housing

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:57 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi all , I have to correct my last post as I have found that the left and right stamping is incorrect, if I set them up according to the L&R stamping facing forward the arms are turned outward I’m not sure what’s going on here but it works

2000’ club wave

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:58 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

recreational sailor here... 2012 Wave Classic... I have looked for the right/left markings, but can't find them. can someone point me to a picture, or are mine the same left to right?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:53 pm 
Site Admin

Those marking inside the castings are mold markings and are not S for Starboard... Confusing.

Only the older aluminum casting are Left/Right. EZ Loc is symmetrical.

The tiller arms should angle inboard on the old aluminum castings. This created something called Ackerman. Than means the rudder on the inside of the turn... thurns sharper. The outer one... a wider turn. Prett trick, but not necessary, so because the geometry of the EZ Loc prohibited a bend in the tiller arm/Ackerman... we did away with it on EZ Loc models.

The Wave rigging video shows it at 4:40:

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)