Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:46 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:56 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Well, I finally bought one! I actually went for an 07 SE at my local dealer, he gave me a good deal on a set of backrests. I thought about it, and it just made more sense to keep the business local. And I will need to break this thing down once a year to transport back to storage. The SE tramp is certainly easier for this vs the club.

I actally transported the thing in the back of my pickup, I put all the long crossbars, mast sections on my kayak cradles on the roof, hulls, sail, etc in the bed. Worked out fine in case anyone ever wondered if they can be transported this way.

So, I put it together and sailed for the first time just a few days ago. What a blast! And my kids, 4 and 8, loved it too. Sailed it again tonight. Again, it was awsome. Just love it. Super easy to sail. And moves right along w/ the slightest breeze.

My only complaint is the tramp tension, maybe I need to re-set it, as the initial tensioning may have just settled in. Anyone else experience this? Anyway, I can live w/ it.

The backrests are a nice option. Defintelity enhance the comfort level. And they look cool too boot! Kind of makes it look like a mini-Getaway. To bad it is such a pricy option. I got a good deal on them, but not everone is so lucky.

I look forward to many years of enjoyment w/ this little Wave! :D

2007 Hobie Wave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:06 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi Jim,

If you don't mind me asking, how much is the backrest option?

Thanks,

Kenny

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:52 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

KGB wrote:
Hi Jim,

If you don't mind me asking, how much is the backrest option?

Thanks,

Kenny
Something crazy like $600. Way overpriced considering what is into them. Nothing wrong w/ quality or anything, just simple bent tubing, padding w/ replaceable cover. $1.00 worth of mounting hardware. Very little to them.

I got the dealer to sell them too me for $300 along w/ the purchase of the new boat. Very nice addition though. Makes for very comfortable sailing. Just have a hard time w/ that price tag. Maybe you can negotiate?

2007 Hobie Wave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:22 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Ouch...I'm near a decision on the Wave and think I'll go without the backrests and add the traveler. I've been oscillating between the Getaway and the Wave and finally came to the conclusion that the Wave equals more time on the water for me since I can easily rig it solo. The Getaway certainly looks fun, though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:49 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Yeah, if you plan on sailing solo or w/ one other most of the time, the Wave is a great choice.

Now, if you regularly need to take a group of people along, you may want the GWY. While the Wave can handle 4 adults w/ ease, (in lighter winds that is, would not try it in 20+mph gusts!), it is really slowed down. I guess this is to be expected.

I think the Getaway is generally a faster boat, just alot more boat, especially for one person to handle. But may be the better choice if you want to carry a group often.

I looked a lightly used Getaway which I could have had cheaper than my new Wave, but for the reasons you mentioned, I went for the Wave.

Either way, you can't really go wrong.

2007 Hobie Wave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 5:48 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I agree with the more time on the water statement. I transport my wave on the roof of my truck and have been on the water quicker than trailered 16s and 18s many times. With a nephew helping it is just 30 minutes from parking to sailing which I think is amazing considering the boat starts completely disassembled.

Good luck with the boat.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:07 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Can't seem to find a thread that addresses, so jumping on this older one. Have a ~'96 classic wave, and looking for a couple upgrade improvement input. 1st, would rather have the laced tramp than the wire/single one that is very loose, and about ready to be replaced. what's involved? Looks like I would need tracks for the hulls, any issues retro-fitting those? Also, looking to get the newer/adjustable/bigger standing rigging set. Any advice/input? Also, not high on the list, but any racing of these in Oregon?

Post subject: Re: Price difference
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:08 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

mmiller wrote:
Some users (racer types mostly) prefer the older aluminum system as you can sail with one rudder up.

You can sail with one rudder up also with the new rudder system. You simply pull up the tiller just on one side so only one rudder blade is up.