Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:14 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sail Stowage
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:44 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hi,
Stupid question, but how do you guys take down & stow your sail? I have found mine to be pretty uncooperative while trying to roll it from the foot to the head, while slowlly lowering the halyard. It just does not want to roll smoothly, tends to slip around and fold, where I don't want it to. It is really annoying. I am trying to avoid any creases and wrinkles which can weaken the sail dacron, and cause nasty crease marks in the window. If it were an old one, I may not mind as much.

On my old 14T, of course, there was the boom which made rolling and wrapping easy.

I thought of letting it all down loose on the tramp, and rolling from the head to foot, but that seems messy. Maybe easier to roll from the small head area to foot, instead. The problem w/ that is that it is in the wrong orientation when it is time to put it back up. I would need to unroll completely out on tramp to find the head, instead of it bieng right there when I slide out of the bag.

So, one idea I have is to try getting a 7' lenght of 4" lightweight pvc drain pipe, and use that as a 'wrapping' spool. Maybe cover it w/ some synthetic fabric so it does not scratch the window.

Are there any suggestions?

Thanks!

2007 Hobie Wave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:28 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I flake the sail on the trampoline as I am taking it down, with the foot of the sail on the starboard hull. I then go to the port hull and loosly fold the head of the sail over at the first batten. I then roll the rest of the sail, with the battens parallel, pulling the sail toward me as required.

When raising the sail I just reverse this process until the head is exposed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:32 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Pavane wrote:
I flake the sail on the trampoline as I am taking it down, with the foot of the sail on the starboard hull. I then go to the port hull and loosly fold the head of the sail over at the first batten. I then roll the rest of the sail, with the battens parallel, pulling the sail toward me as required.

When raising the sail I just reverse this process until the head is exposed.
That sounds logical. I will try it next time I take down. Thanks!

2007 Hobie Wave