Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:31 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Thinking of a wave
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:05 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello,

I have been wanting to learn how to sail ever since I hit my teens but it hasn't happened due to a lack of funds and none of my friends have had interest in it either.

In march, a friend of the family allowed us to borrow a small little sailboat he's had for a couple years by the name of Escape Solsa. Its a fun little boat and I taught myself to using it. After letting my friends mess around in it, they have too been bitten by the sailing bug and the sail is about 95% packing tape due to a bunch of tears into the clear plastic.

Although this boat is pretty decent for learning and casual sailing, having two people on board makes it a bit cramped and the boat let's in a lot of water through where the plug is and where the keel is inserted.

I'm looking into getting a new boat that can comfortably sit four people and maybe offer a bit more performance and I am wondering if the Wave will fit that role. We will primarily be using it in our backyard lake but as I get more profficient and confident with the boat I will plan on purchasing a trailer and take it out to the ocean.

I am wondering if this boat would be a good second boat and if it will keep me entertained for years to come as I progress my sailing skills. Does it basically operate like the solsa? How would the performance of the wave compare to the solsa?

I am also considering purchasing one used so was wondering what are the main items I should check the condition of as I am very new to sailing and the terminology.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:05 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

If you had fun the monhull, you will love the Wave. Super stable, very easy to handle, beginners to advanced sailors love this boat.

W/ 2 people it is quite fast. It will handle 4 easily, but speed is cut way down w/ added weight, but that is fine for a casual sail.

Setup and takedown are also easy.

I cannot comment directly about comarison to a Solsa, not even sure what it is. But I can safely say it is faster than just about any monohull out there

As for what to look for in a used one, do a search on this forum. There have been recent postings on that subject in the last couple of weeks in fact.

No worries about sailing terminology. If there is anything you are unsure about, feel free to ask. We all had to start somewhere :)

2007 Hobie Wave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:55 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I had two adults and two kids on my Wave out for a leisurely lake sail, and two single-handed lasers had to do some major hiking to just marginally beat my speed.

And I'm hardly a top notch sailor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:10 am 
Authorized Hobie Dealer

Location: 315 N. Hwy 79 Panama City Beach, FL 32413 850-235-2281
The wave is a GREAT boat. I have one on the beach behind the house for my wife to sail. I use it as much or more than she does. every time I rig it I am amazed at how easy it is, and how much fun it is to sail. The new rudders make is a snap for beginners with nothing to adjust, fool with or think about, just pull and push, works like magic.

http://www.sunjammers.com
www.facebook.com/sunjammers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:00 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Yep,

I've had (3) large men on my WAVE, out on a choppy ocean, and she handled just fine. She rode a bit deep in the water, and more splashing than when I'm single handed, but comfy and non-cramped.

She could definately do four adults OK as long as they weren't all hippos.