Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:36 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Jib?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:48 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have read a lot about the Wave Jib Kit in past postings, but would love to hear from people who have used the Jib on a Wave and hear if they feel if it's a worthwhile upgrade.
Thanks Mo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:48 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It works good in light wind, but has low luff tension. So in heavier winds (above about 15mph) its shape goes away, especially upwind. I personally think that the traveler is a much better investment for the average joe.

I'd put a chute on one.

Brian C

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:19 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I've had the jib kit for many years and almost always use it. One thing is you can sail wing and wing downwind with a jib. It adds a little more complexity to a very easy to sail boat. I highly recommend it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:58 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I just want to clarify my last post on this subject. You likely won't get any better performance with the jib. It just adds things to do on the boat. There are only a few instances where I thought that the jib really helped and generally it was in light air. Sometimes with a passenger/crew I raise the jib just to give them something to do. I was teaching my 11 year old son yesterday on the boat and it was useful as a teaching tool. If you're just out there to get on the water and have fun than I say why not use it. When I just want simplicity I just use the main. I found yesterday that the jib can be a little troublesome when trying to land on a small dock on the lake and I had t drop it to keep bow from being pushed around... but we had fun anyway!