Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:30 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fold and stow cart
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:01 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Has anyone used the fold and stow cart? I have been using my home made cart for years, sort of a cradle type. I am thinking about springing for the fold and stow for my Revo 13, might be a little quicker to use, and eliminate trips back to the truck when launching and returning.

Last edited by Dave10990 on Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Fod and stow cart
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:12 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I use one for my Revo 13. I’m not sure which one you are referring to but mine folds open or closed. It also has a kickstand that folds out. The wheels are also removable. When I get my boat down to the water I just fold up the cart and rest it on the back of the yak in front of the rudder. I fastened a clip to hold it in place while I’m on the water.
~JOE~

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:38 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The Fold and Stow cart by Hobie.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:10 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The fold and stow would be a great cart for your Revo 13 when transporting over firm surfaces such as gravel, dirt or pavement and even hard packed sand. For soft sand I would go with the trax 2 or trax 2-30

Post subject: Re: Fold and stow cart
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:53 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I purchased the Fold and Stow the other day, and today, used it for the first time. Works as expected, except for the stop that is supposed to hold it in the scupper holes. It is a ball on top that is attached to the shock cord that holds the upright into the cross bar. The ball flips over into a small recess in the side of the top of the vertical piece. When in the scupper holes, while in the back of the truck, the slightest jarring snaps it back to the top of the vertical, and the cart falls out of the scuppers. I thought that you should be able to have the scuppers past the end of the tailgate, install the cart, then pull it out and have it be on the wheels. When loading, put the bow on the tailgate, go to the stern and lift the kayak up, and the cart falls out immediately. I am thinking I may have to drill a hole in the upright, and put a pin in it. If not for that, it is nice to be able to launch and retrieve without making a couple trips back to the truck. Would only give it 3 stars, and maybe wouldn't have purchased it.

Last edited by Dave10990 on Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:53 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Dave10990 wrote:
When in the scupper holes, while in the back of the truck, the slightest jarring snaps it back to the top of the vertical, and the cart falls out of the scuppers.

Why do you ever have the cart inserted through the scupper holes while in the back of your truck?

I bought the Hobie fold & stow cart and used it 3 times before going back to my Wheeleez. The fold & stow is such a pain in the ass to insert and remove. Not so bad while loading or unloading from the bed of my truck, but down at the water is another story. You have to lift the rear of my Outback at least 2 feet off the ground with one arm while trying to insert the poles through the scupper holes with the other. My cart does not fall out due to gravity when lifting the kayak up to remove. The poles are too large in diameter (or my scupper holes are too small in diameter) because I have to forcefully hammer the poles from the top to get them to drop through.

I arrived at the ramp 2 weeks ago to go for an afternoon trip and there was another Hobie fisherman at the dock just waiting for someone else to show up and help him insert his fold and stow cart so he could drag his kayak back to his vehicle. I didn't ask him how long he had been waiting.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:07 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I carry the Revo in the back of my truck. Upon arrival, I pulled it far enough back, past the tailgate, so I could insert the Fold and Stow in the scuppers.
As soon as I slid the kayak back a foot or so, the cart fell out. The ball comes right out of the recess, and the cart falls. At the dealer, he told me that the beauty of the supper cart, you can insert it, pull the 'yak out and set the stern on the ground, the wheels will make contact, lift the bow off, and be on your way. Then, when retrieving, have the cart inserted in the scuppers, wheel it to the truck, lift the bow on the tailgate, go to the stern, pick up the stern and slide the boat into the bed of the truck. It would be the same thing if I used a bed extension. As far as putting the cart in when back to shore, I am not carrying a lot of stuff. Just a small crate, and the drive. I lift out the crate, lay the drive on the crate, grab the side handle, tip the boat on it's side, put the cart in, put it on it's wheels, lay the drive and the crate back in the boat, and again, on my way. I could see an issue with a PA, they are actually small boats. The Revo is basically a sit on kayak. Just disappointed that the smallest movement causes the ball to go back to the top of the vertical,, causing the cart to fall out.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:50 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I understand. I don't have the luxury of tilting the kayak on its side to insert the cart. I have 2-3 rods, gaff, game clip, lunch box, mirage drive and 20-30 pounds of fish to deal with every trip.