Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:54 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Shipping Hobie Outbacks
PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:56 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi everyone,

I'm relocating soon across state lines, and using a moving company to move my furniture and 2 hobie outbacks. My friend with a hobie outback also recently moved and mentioned that the moving company smashed up his kayak's rudders. Now that I look at it I can see how that can happen, as the rudders are pretty fragile to load and impact, and they stick out from the kayak frame.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to either protect the rudders during shipping? Or, if theres an easy way to remove the rudders and then reattach them when my kayaks arrive to my new home.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:28 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It's been a long time since I worked as a teen for a moving company, and the only boat I almost moved was sold to the moving estimator. But in your calculations to not move them yourself on your own vehicle, consider these pitfalls that can violate the warnings in your manual about heat and support points...

If an owner wrapped some padding around the rudder area, we might label the whole boat as PBO "packed by owner" at your own risk, and have no liability or further concern about damage anywhere on the boat. You might oversee the careful initial loading of your boats, but they may be many times offloaded and jammed in a hurry into other or the same trailers. Things happen and driving plans change, and even well meaning employees encounter sudden obstacles to work around, and fragile things get jammed into hot corners. Same for vehicles they transport - they may be offloaded and carelessly run into the ground.

We used to have a boss obsessed with not wasting trailer space. So besides the disruption that naturally came from partial loads being pulled off and put on at intermediate stops along the journey, he would have us repeatedly unpack and repack a full trailer that was just sitting at our warehouse to ensure that there was no needless overflow that could cause further trips. After increasingly efficient repacks you could barely find room for a tennis ball in the upper corner of the roof. Maybe he was being a "nice" guy in not sending us home on slow days.