Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:58 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 8:33 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

First of all, thank you to all I'm new to this forum I bought an older model Hobie and love it
I have traveled the east coast of the United states with it on top of my camper from Maine to the keys
I've kayaked up and down streams and rivers of fresh, brackish, and black water as well as crystal water springs in Florida
I've Kayaked the Ocean in Me, Ma, RI, Va, NC, and Fla Atlantic and gulf Flat calm and up to 2' chop w/p
out outriggers, I'm retired and living the life !!
Anyways I've recently decided to try fishing and I bought 2-rod holders which require a 3/4" hole to be drilled through the body
My question is this I love to paddle and don't like to have anything obstructing my complete stroke which extends 2-3' in front of me and 2 ' behind my sitting position I don't want to give that range up or limit myself to the peddling
Any suggestions ?? Is there a way to cable/pulley the rod holder to the rear of the boat that works using the rod holder??
I am looking on the web and have found nothing does everyone switch entirely to peddling while fishing and :roll: :roll: then remove their rod holders to paddle ? Im kina stuck here afraid to drill and be sorry I made a dumb move Help Anyone ?? !!

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 2:00 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You did not mention what brand rod holder you purchased, but most manufacturers have a rod holder base/socket that's easily
mounted on the top outer rail/edge of your kayak.
See this link and there are also rails made to mount on the kayak and then various mounts slide into the rail.
https://scotty.com/rod-holders-and-mounts/