Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:59 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 8:20 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello im looking to get either a hobie 10.5 passport (2019) or 10.5hobie sport (2015) kayak. Both will be used and come with the 1st generation V2 Mirage Drives, I was hoping to use them to go past the jetties near Balboa CA and fish offshore no more than a mile maybe nearby. Between the 2 which would be safer to use in open water or large lakes if wind and chop become a concern?

I've seen people take the sport models out with the outriggers but there hasn’t been much info or videos of people using the passports for offshore fishing. Safety is the primary factory in our choice, besides the light offshore fishing they will mostly be used for lakes for trout or bass.

Price wise I've found a hobie sport 2015 version with the new seats for 1400 and a 2019 hobie passport for 1100 or so. Thank you for your help

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2022 6:24 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Had an older model Sport and Outback and would go out of Newport harbor a lot of times. Handles well even in choppy waters. Only caveat for the Sport is to be well within its weight capacity… that includes the person and all gear. Otherwise it’s unstable and may flip over.