Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:59 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:23 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Many thanks to this old post as it help me find a good cooler solution.
Sam's Club has been stocking the 56-can cooler bag for about $10/ea. I picked up two and sprayed them down with waterproofing.

I was unable to source the pool liner that Sammy925 had recommended so I have been taking my chances with a trash bag and $2 grocery cool bag. To date, it has worked fine but I know I am tempting fate.

I store it in the front hatch with 3 frozen 2liter bottles that have been flattened prior to freezing.

I think I have found a substitute for the pool liner. In the plumbing section at Home Depot there are rolls of bathtub/shower liner. It's pretty thick stuff and you can buy it by the foot. I'm going to give that a shot and let you know how it goes.

Thanks again,

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:53 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

A majority of the experienced fishermen in the SE use a Polar Bear Cooler. This cooler is the number #1 Choice in our part of the country. While it comes in various sizes, the 24 pack seems to be the size of choice for most of the Hobie owners.

This soft-sided cooler is one of the very best you can get. It will keep ice all day long under the FL sun. They aren't cheap but well worth the money. You can't do any better than this soft-side cooler.

They also sell a cooler liner that is a heavy duty ziplock type bag. It is perfect to keep your fish in. Simply drop your fish into the bag, roll it up and stuff it in your cooler. I have used my liner for over a year with no punctures.

Polar Bear is also one of the major sponsors for the various kayak fishing tournaments in the SE.

http://www.polarbearcoolers.com/

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:30 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

islandspeed2001,

I have heard a lot of great things about Polar Bear Coolers but the solution I am using now has been working great. I have done 8 daylight hours on the water and have left the cooler in the kayak overnight and there is still ice in there.

Of course, I must qualify my claim by disclosing that I have not tested the cooler bag in Summer weather. I grew up fishing in SE Fla and I know what hot and humid is. I now live in CE Fla. and I REALLY know what hot and humid is.

Time will tell if this was a good deal or if I was just buying time. If I can remember to do so, I will update my findings later this year.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:43 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The really great solution would be that Hobie produce a hatch liner like found on the Pro Angler that is insulated along with an insulated liner to go on the top. That would simplify everything, just throw ice packs (frozen water bottles) into the compartment and strap down the lid. After the trip one only has to rinse out the hard plastic liner. Matt, is there any chance?

Rockman 10

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:59 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

A hatch liner would be great but I would prefer that it filled more than the vertical space of the opening. The current hatch liners cut off all of the open space fore and aft of the hatch opening. A hatch liner with a bulbous protrusion that fills the space in front of the hatch as well would maximize the utilization of space yet still be easy to insert and remove. .... Just an idea...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:43 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'm still looking for a triangular shaped catch bag that will fit the back of a Revo11 perfectly. Remarkably few hits on the internet for something this shape and size.