Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:05 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:20 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Jump out there Mall.... you'll be just fine and eventually, if you get the sport for loadability, you'll wish you had the Outback. Sport in my thinking would be outstanding for tossing in the back of a truck and maybe getting to an isolated body of water where I might have to hump it overland a bit. Bogs and ponds. For out in the lake or here in salt water, the extra room for comfort and carrying 'stuff', the Outback is the way to go.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:26 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Wow, old thread. What's with all the Sport bashing :lol:

I'm 5'11" 175lbs and find the sport quite comfortable. Fits in the garage easily, I can 'throw' it in the back of my pickup in seconds and be out on the water in a jiffy. I fish salt water in Florida.

Here she is with all the amenities... milk crate holds tackle box, extra rod holders and other miscellaneous items (bug spray), small cooler behind crate, fish finder in front, and I still have room for my coffee :)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:16 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I would opt for the Outback. You'll have less draft which means you can navigate shallower waters, plus more storage capacity.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:46 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Cindy and I had both the Sport and Outback last year, and can confirm all the prior postings - you'll be much happier with your Outback purchase than you would if you went with the Sport. I'll also offer up that when I would use her Sport it would take on water through the rudder control line holes in the rear - which are mounted much lower on the Sport than they are on the Outback.

She now has a Revo for just plain kayaking and likes it a lot better than the Sport. Of course, since we also have the TI, the Revo doesn't get much use.

Chesapeake Bay and Eastern Shore
My sailing blog
Our sailing videos

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:27 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

A short answer is to demo both at you local dealer. Then have first hand experience to decide this long term investment. I would go with the outback. But then you need to try for yourself. Good Luck

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:17 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks all for your informed information. I have ordered the Sport model in Moss and hope to collect in a week or two. My physical size, 5'7" had a bearing but was not the sole reason. Fresh water, salt estuaries, plus I wanted my kids to get involved had a bearing so the portability of the Sport helped.
Once I am an experienced user I might upgrade to Outback though storage not really a factor rather the ability to get to secret, off road spots more a key.

I will post pics soon.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:30 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Anyone have any experience surf launching the Sport? I've surf launched an Ocean Kayak Malibu Two solo for years, so am plenty experienced in the breakers. I just got the sport, and am about to get a Revo 13. I'm guessing the sport will be just fine for calmer days, and I'll use the revo for choppier and heavier surf. Any input??

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:25 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Bluetaildragger wrote:
Anyone have any experience surf launching the Sport? I've surf launched an Ocean Kayak Malibu Two solo for years, so am plenty experienced in the breakers. I just got the sport, and am about to get a Revo 13. I'm guessing the sport will be just fine for calmer days, and I'll use the revo for choppier and heavier surf. Any input??

The vast majority of my experience with surf launching mirage drive yaks has been in Outbacks. IMO, it is generally easier to launch or beach in surf with a paddle as opposed to the mirage drive as the paddle offers a better ability to quickly turn to deal with conditions; especially at low speed. I rarely deal with surf these days, but back when it was a regular part of my routine, I would have the rudder up and use the paddle until I got beyond the breakers. Same thing when I would beach the boat: rudder up and mirage drive out of the hole and laying between my legs, use the paddle to keep me straight.

With that in mind, I think the shorter Sport might be easier than the longer Revo in heavy surf as it will be easier to quickly turn, but that's just speculation on my part. Full disclosure: I'm partial to fat bottomed Outbacks, so I don't think of Revos as rough water boats, but I'm well aware that people take them out in chop all the time. Take my observations with a grain of salt.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:23 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Mall wrote:
What a great discussion forum.....Hello from a soon to be Hobie customer from Melbourne, Aus. I'm 5'7" and 155 pounds, so is the OB the answer or the Sport. My fishing will be fresh, still water lakes and salt water estuaries so seldom ever open sea. I am torn between the seemingly convenient size of the sport compared to the size advantages of the Outback. In Melbourne, the price difference is $200 in favour of the sport, so not an issue. My SUV's roof racks will house either. Help!!

For fishing I would recommend the Outback over the Sport. More room, more features, and more volume makes it more stable, especially if you plan to stand and sight fish at any point.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:07 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

For fishing, less is more. If you can fit into a Sport, it's the ideal Hobie for fresh and salt water inland fishing. Getting the kayak to the water and storing are it's strong points. If your in alot of chop/cooler water, then the Revos would be a better choice, starting with the Revo 11. If your planning long distance, then an island.
If your a bigger than average guy, then a Revo 13 first, Outback second for more primary stability but less secondary. Compass may be a good compromise between the two?