Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:09 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 7:44 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

This is in regards to new 13'? model with pedal-drive.

#1 How much faster do you get w/pedal drive? Does it help you launch past breakers easier?

#2 Do pedal-drive skegs foldup? I'm wondering about placement/dragging of yak into water from shore.

#3 Do you have access to inside hull from bow? Wondering about sonar/transducer mounts.

#4 Is sail option clean? Big enough sail for yak? Can sail be mounted on yak for windless days?

I was considering Marauder XF for my next kayak...but am seriously considering Outback Mirage SUV due to pedals and sail.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 9:42 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

mk,
Welcome to the Hobie Site. With regard to your questions, I can give you a little info.

1. Yak speed is based mainly on the length of the hull at the water line, so the Mirage drive will not necessarily give you a greater speed. But it will most likely give you a more sustained and constant speed over longer distances since the legs are generally more powerful than the arms.

2. The pedal drive fins or sails do indeed fold up flat against the hull when entering skinny water. Or you can pull the drive entirely while on the water. Takes all of 10 seconds. See first pic below.

3. With the new larger hatch, you have pretty much complete access inside the hull from the bow. Some folks mount their sonar battery next to the mast tube, and there is plent of gunwale room for the actual mounting of the unit itself. See first pic below.

4. Sail works great on the OB--plenty large enough for it to get up and move. See second pic below. Don't know why you would want to mount a sail on windless days though, but you could certainly do it if you were an eternal optimist!

Outback a great boat for just about anything, but if you are interested in more speed, you should check out the new 16 ft. long Adventure as well.