Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:01 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:31 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I agree with many of these other people about these crappy Hobie Kayaks. Why, I hated my Outback so much that I ended up buying a Sport for my daughter two weeks later, and two months later I bought a Revo for the wife. We hate them so much that we spend every weekend out on them and I have only been out once on my 26 ft. cabin cruiser this summer.

Seriously, I too had a hole in my first original Hobie after five months of use, and Hobie replaced it without question. Not fixed it, but replaced the hull (whole) boat. Customer service is fantastic, (although I still am waiting for directions on how to mount that gun rack.)

If I had another kid, I would probably buy another boat (but that's not going to happen).

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:18 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Gurkman wrote:
I agree with many of these other people about these crappy Hobie Kayaks. Why, I hated my Outback so much that I ended up buying a Sport for my daughter two weeks later, and two months later I bought a Revo for the wife. We hate them so much that we spend every weekend out on them and I have only been out once on my 26 ft. cabin cruiser this summer.

Seriously, I too had a hole in my first original Hobie after five months of use, and Hobie replaced it without question. Not fixed it, but replaced the hull (whole) boat. Customer service is fantastic, (although I still am waiting for directions on how to mount that gun rack.)

If I had another kid, I would probably buy another boat (but that's not going to happen).

I'll be your kid :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:15 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Gurkman wrote:

um i think i got the point...i will say it one more time i do love my hobie and they did replace my hull and they do have great customer service i already explained myself about being wrong with my "crappy" statement if you feel the need to drag it on than go ahead. And oh yeah i am out on my hobie every weekend + night fishing trips during the week in rough inlets, along side enormous bridges with raging currents and the nice calm flats of back bay marsh areas. I believe i apologized enough already.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:53 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I will extend apologies if I came off sarcastic but it was more of a joke than sarcasm. I honestly believe in the durablility of the Hobie products and their product support.
There can always be a lemon in any bunch and sad when someone has the hassle with a purchase. In a perfect world it would not happen but sadly it does.
From all I have seen over the years on this forum the problems have been few and Hobie acted admirably in all instances. Cannot beat the service. If only all manufacturers backed their products as well.

I do not make light of anyones misfortunes or inconveniences but proudly boast about the quality of the revolutions I have bought.

Sincerely

Revo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:06 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Tomorrow I'm going to to the dealer to turn in my second cracked mirage drive adventure hull. I read someone put hot glue on the crack as a solution to stop the leak. I got another trip out of my hull with this fix. Thanks for the trick it worked temporarily anyway. But by the time i got home the crack grew and the glue peeled up. I did get one more trip out of the boat at least. It would be a nice addition to an emergency kit to have a couple hot glue sticks and a torch. As for the two mirage drive hull cracks and the boats being crappy. Well i'd like to see Hobie put an outragous amount of polyethylene in the spot where the cracks develop. And it's frustrating to say the least when your out and your boat becomes tippy and full of water. The first time my hull took on water it took all my strength and then some to pick the boat up enough to get the water out. This while out stranded on a island on the lake with my wife complaining about what we gonna do. Given the right circumstances I can see how someone would say crappy boat. But my wife and me do use the crap out of our boats. We go out year round here in Tn. During the Summer at least three times a week. Anyway just some random tips, thoughts, and experiences from your freindly Tennessee Adventurer.

P.S. If Hobie wants to use me as a Guinea Pig for hull testing I would be more than happy to be a test pilot.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:26 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

adventurer,

Add this to your emergency kit. Hopefully you would never need it but with your luck a good thing to carry.

http://www.hippopatch.com/index.htm

a smart idea for the emergency kit for anyone as well as a hand pump. Sealed SOT kayaks do not need a hand pump but recommended to carry one along with a sponge in a hatched SOT.

Revo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:17 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

i used epoxy on my first hull when it cracked and it worked great probably could have used it for a very long time but hobie has a great customer service and when they offer you a new hull you don't turn it down lol. I would suggest hobie follow some other kayak fishing forums and/or contact some kayak fishing clubs and see whats cooking. I know my club is made up with mostly hobie owners and if not new members end up upgrading to hobies. We have well over a 100 members so i think they would get some good input.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:59 am 
Site Admin

I have spent some time looking at other forums, but rarely have the opportunity to do so. We get great feedback here! Best to keep it simple. Have an issue... post it here.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:28 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

This Forum exist so that Hobie can keep their finger on the pulse of their products. Hobie kayaks are used in so many different ways and places the abuse on them varies. If you are a bass fisherman in a pond or river you may not see the same kind of stress of those using the kayak in the ocean. At least this forum exist so Hobie can make changes to a kayak when a problem is found. I wish other companies had this much foresight.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:37 am 
Site Rank - Captain

i bought my ai second hand and i have reassurance from mat the warranty is 2yrs whoever owns the yak now i think that's 1 hell of a warranty by anyones standard.
I just wonder mat would i need the reciept (which i hav'nt got) or would the serial no. be sufficient?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:41 pm 
Site Admin

We can go by the serial number for a rough guess on age / use.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:18 pm 
Hobie Team Member

Please give Denw72 some slack, he is recovering from knee surgery and has been unable to fish for the past month. He is a fishing addict suffering from withdrawal lol.

Just to explain his position there are about 15 of us that fish together often and out of those besides Denw72 six others have had their hulls replaced.

Hobie as provided replacement hulls for all, which is why they are such a great company.