Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:34 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:53 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

My wife and I love our Oasis for touring, exercise and seeing the critters at our local lake, ?.

However, the Oasis is too much of a yak re length, width, WEIGHT, and not really balanced for an old (all most 72 year old Fly Fisher).

I need a lighter Yak, one that will fit in the bed of my Ridgeline and can be easily brought to a launch area, removed from truck bed and thrown into the water and launced and with an easy reversal to get the Yak back on my Ridgeline to go home and then store the Yak.

Also, I needed a smaller and more adaptable yak for most of my fishing.

So I thought about a Sport. The weight limit would be a constant hassle due to me weighing 210, leaving 35# for gear and whatever.

The biggest problem with the Sport was finding a dealer, :( who would sell me a Sport without the Mirage unit, paddle, seat and other standard gear. I have all of that with our Oasis, and I don't want to waste our funds for gear that I have that would be at home if I had a Sport with all of the gear that is redundant with what I own with the Oasis.

Hobie is missing a lot of business with this hard nose policy during an incredible recession. Hobie should allow legitimate Mirage Owners and other Hobie gear to waive the Mirages and other redundant gear at a price that would benefit Hobie and the customers.

Stability and ability to cast standing up with a flyrod was also critical
The Sport even with my Oasis AMA's might be a little tricky.

The Freedom Hawk 12 with the 3 position outrigger stabilizers will be very stable in most of my waters. I can stand and do my two handed Spey/Switch Rod casts basically in a 360 rotation with the Hawk anchored or stabilized with a stake going through the scuppers and into the water and into the river/lake bed.

The Freedom Hawk 12 has two down sides:

1. No mirage unit, a very addictive piece of engineering for an old guy with bad rotator cuffs and a torn bicep head. So I will have to limit where I go with the FH12.

2. FH12 is apparently not that stable in the rougher waters and lower Napa river with wind and tidal impacts. So I will be avoiding those waters.

I would probably add a Revolution to the mix if I can buy one without the Mirage Unit, paddle, seat, dry bag and other standard so called Freebies, all of which we got when we bought our Oasis a few months ago.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:02 am 
Site Admin

The option of a hull-only is available. It makes little sense for us to stock hull-only units in our inventory as they are rarely ordered, so these are done on a special order basis only. Fyi... The price discount does not reflect the retail value of the returned parts though. We encourage dealers to pull the un-needed parts from their stock of boats and sell the parts as replacement parts at their store. This is much more cost effective for all involved.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:47 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Makes sense for everyone involved.

It makes zero sense for me to stock up on Mirages, paddles, seats and other standard parts.

After the Freedom Hawk and I get to know each other and each other's limitations and assets, I will have a better handle on what I will need re a fishing yak with the Mirage system.

mmiller wrote:
The option of a hull-only is available. It makes little sense for us to stock hull-only units in our inventory as they are rarely ordered, so these are done on a special order basis only. Fyi... The price discount does not reflect the retail value of the returned parts though. We encourage dealers to pull the un-needed parts from their stock of boats and sell the parts as replacement parts at their store. This is much more cost effective for all involved.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:11 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

My AI was delivered stripped, as per what Matt said. They took an inventory craft and kept the extra that I didn't want and are reselling All at a very nice discount to me as i already have a Revo. They will work with you to be sure.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:01 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks. It makes sense for Hobie, the Dealer and the end buyer to sell the stripped Hobie to current Hobie users wanting another Hobie without replication of expensive gear.

sammy925 wrote:
My AI was delivered stripped, as per what Matt said. They took an inventory craft and kept the extra that I didn't want and are reselling All at a very nice discount to me as i already have a Revo. They will work with you to be sure.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:55 pm 
Hobie Team Member

Grampa,

I hope you paddled the Freedom Hawk before you bought it.

Post subject: Unable to do that
PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:06 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Did discuss the use of the FH with some users before buying it. I know that it isn't a traveling/touring yak. I intend to use it with minimal paddling in a couple of protected lakes, one oxbow area and one protected bay area. All of which you can be fishing in a short distance.

I would appreciate your comments, warnings and whatever.

Thanks
Dave

GeorgeD wrote:
Grampa,

I hope you paddled the Freedom Hawk before you bought it.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:10 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

another old guy here with two torn rotator cuffs. After forgetting the drive units for my Outback and Pro Angler one trip I really can appreciate pedaling vs. paddling! especially with the PA!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:41 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

My wife and I had another great trip yesterday on a local lake. Now that summer is over, we seldom see anyone else on the lake. We try to get on the water a little after nine and GeriYak a couple of hours and head home.

Yesterday, we hit just under 6 mph a couple of times and 4 mph several times and average about 3 mph just ambling along.

I forgot to turn off the GPS after I put it back into the dry bag and stopped about 5 miles away from the lake and turned it off. My wife wanted to know what our top speed was, and I said a little over 50 mph. She had this stunned look until she figured out the top speed was in our Ridgeline.

I can't imagine trying oar/paddle a Pro Angler. :shock:
atavuss wrote:
another old guy here with two torn rotator cuffs. After forgetting the drive units for my Outback and Pro Angler one trip I really can appreciate pedaling vs. paddling! especially with the PA!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:05 pm 
Hobie Team Member

Grampa,

I found it nowhere near as stable as the 14' FH, also it did not track well for me. Standing is not as easy as it is in a Hobie Pro Angler.

My main concern was that you tried this kayak and were confortable in getting from the seated position to standing for your fly fishing presentation.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:35 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The FH's are not traveling or for long hauls.

Many of the kayak reviewers felt that the FH 12 was more stable than the 14. I have included a link from a local Fly Fisher and Kayak guide and his use on the California Delta.

I plan to use my FH 12 in protected waters of short paddling trips. When, I get to where I want to cast/fish, I will stand up and use a standup paddle and then anchor or run a stabilizer pole through the scuppers into the mud/bottom below the FH if I'm in shallow water.

Yesterday, I discussed the limitations of the FH with a very happy user of a Revolution except where the water is shallow and where he would like to stand up and cast. He is headed out on a Hobie vacation with his Revolution and his wife and her Outback.

When he gets back, he wants to try my FH. If it is stable enough for him to cast in shallow areas, he will buy one and tow it behind his Revolution or Outback and "park" the Hobie and get into the FH to cast and fish.

At our current favorite lake for our Oasis, my wife is considering loading the FH with chairs, blanket and picnic supplies. We would tow the FH a couple of miles away to a good landing area, land the Oasis, set up the chairs/blankets. Then, I can take the FH into the surrounding flats to fish the Tules, while she suns, read and "rests her eyes".

The "controllers" of this lake like most river/lake areas in N California continues to use stealth moves/restrictions to eliminate fishers from the shores and kayak launchers from setting out close to the fishing areas. This year, you can only launch from the dock/ramp area which is at least 2 miles from the good fishing areas. This has eliminated most kayakers with just paddles. Even with our Oasis, it is a good trek with low wind and even longer when the winds are high, and the winds come up about 11 am everyday.

Below is the review on the FH12 by a local guide and kayaker:

http://www.kayakangleronline.com/compon ... ayaks.html

Thanks again, George!

GeorgeD wrote:
Grampa,

I found it nowhere near as stable as the 14' FH, also it did not track well for me. Standing is not as easy as it is in a Hobie Pro Angler.

My main concern was that you tried this kayak and were confortable in getting from the seated position to standing for your fly fishing presentation.