Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:29 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:55 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Mirage Sport for fishing ? does it do the job ?
or should I seriously consider the Outback ?
( ready to buy, but can't decide )

The size of the Sport appeals to me for transportation, and storage,
but the size of the Outback appeals to me for stability, and all the other reasons bigger might be better in the water.
your experiences and opinions will be highly appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:26 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The main consideration in deciding which to buy should be your height and weight as well as where you intend to use the kayak. At 6' 1" and 200 lbs. the Sport would probably not be the best choice for me. I guess that's why I own an Outback. Then too, you now have the Adventure to consider. Pedal, Paddle, Sail.... Ain't it great?! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 8:26 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey CB,
I have both, but as of late have gone almost exclusively to the Sport (that actually is my wife's). I love the lighter weight and size of the Sport, but it is barely big enough at my height and weight (5-11 and 175 lbs, inseam of 30 inches). The Sport also forces me to scale back on the amount of stuff that I carry, since there is not room for both a crate and ice chest. I also have to put the Mirage drive at the full forward position, whereas in the OB I can center the adjuster pin, or maybe one hole forward of center. But I have been offshore fishing in the open Atlantic and doing surf transits (not recommended) in the Sport, as well as river cruising/fishing and lots of inshore fishing in the Sport. Both great boats, but try before you buy! Here is a pic of my (wife's) Sport in my “backyardâ€

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:54 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I've tried the Outback, Sport, and Adventure and bought the Adventure. I liked the sport the least and think of it as a kid's toy and would only consider it for very small lakes or ponds. The Outback is a good fishing platform, but It's wide and I really didn't like getting in and out of it or sitting side saddle in it. It just didn't fit my body (I'm short & stocky), but the Adventure fit juuust right! As metioned, your size and where you will be fishing the most should have a lot to do with your decision. I live in California (SF Bay Area) and there is no way I would take a Sport out on the Pacific.