Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:08 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:00 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I am getting an Adventure very soon. What are the best modifications ? (I do not mean upgrades like the bigger rudder or Mirage drive that you can get from Hobie.)

So far I have liked:

anchor trolley idea
sail mainsheet pulleys
fishfinder mounting

I will be adding nav lights.

What are your top ideas for fishing / freediving modifications to an Adventure?

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 11:02 am 
Site Rank - Captain

My problem is I have three kayaks now and thinking of one more like a Hobie cat. I also plan on traveling a lot this year so I may be renting kayaks in say Hawaii. My Hobie I have stored in dry dock at a slip so I don’t plan on mounting permanent electronics. Portable is the way I am going so it can multitask.

I would suggest before installing anything try your kayak first and think of what you will need. The east coast is quite a bit different than the west coast in fishing conditions. Have you noticed that the other forum people are standing in the ocean next to their yak around a quarter mile out? Try that around here and you had better have stilts on. East coast with 50 ft of anchor line is too much. West coast and 300 ft of anchor line is almost too short.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 11:56 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Good thoughts. I will not rush it (too much) but want to find out if there are some consensus modifications considered basic to kayak use. I have tried to note East versus West type location differences.

My current experience with the ocean is very limted, though I did SCUBA Morro Bay to the Oregon border many years ago; and did a very few abalone trips. I am going to return to the sea off Californ ia as a kayak fisherman, sailor, and freediver this time around.

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 7:11 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yep OR--good points. The Pacific Coast vs. the Atlantic and Gulf Coasts are almost total opposites of one another. This is to a large degree due to the broad continental shelf on the Atlantic, Gulf, and Florida coasts, but almost no continental shelf on the Pacific Coast. The reasons for this go back many millions of years, but basically are because of the deep sea trenches, as well as filled-in trenches on the Pacific Coast. However, there are no trenches of any kind along the Atlantic Coast except for the Puerto Rico Trench, but that is a different ball game, and way south. Along the Gulf Coast, we sometimes go offshore about 25 miles to fish, but are still only in 60 feet of water. Try this out of L.A. and you will be out past Catalina in maybe 1000 fathoms of water! We also have no kelp beds back here because we have no nutrient upwelling here as you do in Calif., Oregon, and WA. We do get some scattered drift algae, but we have mainly extensive intertidal grass flats (and mangroves further south) here that are pretty much non-existent on the Pacific Coast, again due to the absence of the continental shelf. The Pacific Coast also has no offshore barrier islands, yet those are a staple along the SE Atlantic and Gulf Coasts. I could go on, but I'm sure you get the picture. Lots of interesting geological history on both coasts, but quite different in almost all respects.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 10:24 am 
Site Rank - Captain

All good points that are becoming more obvious as I view posts on the different forums. Still good to see what the "other guys" come up with because despite differences we are all trying to effectively kayak, fish, dive, spearfish, etc. and have many of the same challenges with which to deal.

Thanks for your thoughts, post on brothers and sisters.

Post subject: Here's A Clue
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 3:09 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

If you are going to fish? You have already got one of the best vessels
to fish from, compared to a pb. very cheap. Invest the money saved
into the best equipment you can afford ie: fishfinder, gps, rods, reels,
seat,oar, saftey equipment!!!! The list goes on and on. You would be supprized how much you can use once out on the water.
Good Luck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 5:20 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

At first, I wouldn't buy anything. Take the new boat for a first paddle, um, pedal, with the stuff that comes with it. See what it feels like. Then, if you want to go fishing, take a fishing rod with a couple lures(if you are a fisherman in your local waters, you probably have a good idea what fish will be there and what they will bite on). A fishfinder is an asset for fishing, but by looking for baitfish being chased, birds diving, etc., places that feel "fishy" is just as good.
Some fishing kayaks look like floating tackle shops. If you go through surf to get to where you need to go, or you want to be able to have just enough stuff to throw in the vehicle, haul down to the water, quickly rig the kayak and be out there. Less stuff to clean up later.
A PFD is something you should have, especially if you can't swim. First thing I would buy would be a handheld VHF radio. If you fish, a fishfinder is a nice option. I like good fishing gear, but not the super-expensive stuff. A GPS is great if you lose sight of land, maybe in some swamp or something. We use them so we don't get lost in the fog. Valid point already made about anchors. Never use one myself. Some guys use drift chutes with stronger winds, they don't work that well on tide movement.
You get a bunch of stuff with the kayak; pedal, seat, etc. After a year with my Quest, I'm still using the stock seat and paddle. New kayak, you'll be stoked.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 1:14 am 
Hobie Team Member

I would go slow on the anchor system. The less lines you have, the less snags.

You might get by with a surface anchor attachment in California (to kelp). See:

http://www.kayakfishing.com/sa.html

A surface anchor and drift chute (great for jigging/ bait drifting with any wind-just attach midships and you can dangle your feet over the side while she drifts broadside to wind).

BUT first thing I would get before anything is a surf leash to attach you to your yak. The one thing you don't want drifting off if you huli(flip).

I have found a compass useful. If your doing any night work you'll need it. Back light LED requires 12V but you can tap off a light or FF system.

I reiterate what others have said. Try going light. You will find that if you pack astutely a 5 gallon bucket ends up as a junk/trash container.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 6:51 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for your post, and for your other posts throughout the forum.

I will be keeping my gear light, compact, tethered, and secured. I will be using a surf leash for my paddle and myself, etc. I will be taking a class and several cinics on saltwater kayaking, fishing, and freedive hunting before I do much in the ocean.

I know little about how to deal with surf and am going to go very slow in this area - maybe I will find a class on how-to in this area where I can bash up a rental 'yak to get more comfortable.

My home and most of my kayaking for a while will be in the freshwater of the Sacramento-San Joauin Delta, many miles upstream from saltwater. I will also kayak, sail, and freedive the lakes and flatter portions of freswater rivers of the Sierra Nevada and Coast mountain ranges.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.[/url]

Post subject: mrsinbad's list
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 6:57 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Worth viewing:

http://kfs.infopop.cc/groupee/forums/a/ ... list-a.jpg