Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:52 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:25 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I would like your advice on what type of waterproof footwear to use when kayak fishing in a Hobie Outback. To get situated in the boat with waterproof boots seems to be too much trouble because the boots must come off to pedal the Hobie.

Any ideas. Thank you.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:14 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I wear 5mm dive boots with light weight water wicking socks when I'm fishing in cold weather here. The socks help keep the feet from sweating and the boots keep them warm and dry. If by chance I do get water in they warm up fast. I like the boots with a harder souls as they seam to be easier on the bottoms of the feet.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:16 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I use Caddis Neoprene Wading Shoes. They're around $30 on the web. They have a neoprene upper with a thick sole. No need to take off, you can peddle quite well with them on. They're also great if you need to get out of your yak. I've walked Oyster bars with them with no problem.

Johnny

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:18 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks everyone. Good advice.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:17 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

raygolf1 wrote:
I would like your advice on what type of waterproof footwear to use when kayak fishing in a Hobie Outback. To get situated in the boat with waterproof boots seems to be too much trouble because the boots must come off to pedal the Hobie.

Any ideas. Thank you.

You might consider buying a pair of Korkers fly fishing wading boots with the Boa easy on off dial/lacing system and the interchangeable soles. I use the super gripper rubber soles with our Oasis and my fishing yak when I wear waders and wear them with my new Yak pants. Be sure to get the Korkers in at least a 1.5 larger size.

http://www.korkers.com/technology/boa-lacing-system

You can wear the Seal Skinz wading socks with the Korkers. However, if you get into water that goes over their tops, they will get wet and stay wet/cold until you dry them off out of the water.

I use them with Kokatat Tempest Pants with Socks or KTPS:

http://www.kokatat.com/products/bibs-an ... socks.html

My Cabela's Hip waders, Sage Guide Fly Fishing waders and other Goretex waders work with the Korkers. Often they are not needed and the Kokatat Tempest Pants work unless you are deep wading over your belt.

Somewhere I read about removing the straps on the Mirage pedals when you use boots or big sandals.

My wife and I took the straps off when we started wearing heavy duty beach shoes with our Kokatat Tempest Pants. It only took us a couple of minutes to get used to pedals without straps, and now we prefer the pedals without straps year round.

I use the Kotatat TPS with my Korkers and have no problem pedaling. We have oyster/mussel shells out here in the sand and even worse re metal/glass junk, and often lava rock that is real sharp. The Korkers with the rubber soles are close to being bullet proof in areas where neoprene and other soft booties offer little protection.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:21 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi,I use neoprene knee boots to fish with here in Pace,Fl.
I just opened up the strap on my Outbacks drive and never worry about cold feet.Meet me at the pier across from Jim's and I'll show you...............

Robin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:38 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

raygolf1 :
In the winter I wear my Scuba diving boots, they are NeoSport 3mm hi-top booties http://www.wetsuitwearhouse.com/page/WW ... /666-SB30Z

We are out every weekend all year round in the Tampa area and Key West, they keep my feet nice and warm even when I'm in and out of the water. They are actually pretty durable and comfortable. Most dive shops carry them and you can get them on sale for around $20 bucks on sale (normal price around $30). I also have a 3mm shorty wet suit that I can easily get on and off in the boat, and a pair of 3mm farmer johns that I put over the whole works (to cover my legs and chest). This way as I warm up it's easy to take off and put on layers as needed. And if you do happen to go over you can put all the stuff on in the water ( I did that once). If it is cold, windy, and rainy (<50f) you do get cold unless you put on a windbreaking rain outfit over everything else. I bought one for I think ten bucks that folds up into a bag 5 x 8 long and I keep it in a dry bag on the boat. It slips on easily and covers your legs, body, and head (with a hoody). I bought an extra large so it fits over my wet suit and PFD. With all that wetsuit material on, you float like a cork. We scuba dive in the same outfits, my wife has a full 3mm suit (kind of a pain to get on and off, on the boat).
All the stuff is suprisingly durable and you should be ok in water down to 65f or so (the water gets to around 70f-72f in Key West in January, and around 60f-65f in Sarasota on average(sometimes colder). But it can get up to 80f-85f outside on a sunny day so layers are preferred. I prefer two layers of 3mm over my core vs one 5mm, so I can take one off if I get warm. Up where you are 5mm might be better or a full dry suit which is uncomfortable and difficult to get on and off for me ( It has to be on completely and sealed to work, so if you go over with it unzipped around your waist, your pretty much screwed (you are now a very heavy drag chute, LOL)), I get really warm really fast in a full dry suit so I tend to stay home if it's that cold. Fortunately it's only in January that I need all that stuff around here.
We tend to stay closer to shore in the winter, and don't go out if there aren't other boats around (just in case).
Hope this helps
Bob

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:48 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

On the upper Texas Gulf Coast, I have for years been using the NRS Boundary Shoe and it has kept me dry and/or warm.

Here is the link:

http://www.nrsweb.com/shop/product.asp? ... eptid=1169