Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:30 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Food Stuffs
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:39 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It's hard to fish if you're hungry. Many years ago when we picked up the kayak fishing bug we dropped the old bags of nabs and slim jims and started carrying cold fried chicken, or good sandwich meats. Even bought "Little Bug" stoves so we could heat and eat soup and stew when it's really cold. Sometimes our meals are the best part of the trip.

Just wondering what other Hobie kayak fishermen take with them on the water for a meal during the day's fishing.

Post subject: Re: Food Stuffs
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:09 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I usually carry simple things for short outings like beef jerky, trail mix and some form of snack bar like a Granola or Fiber One bar and plenty of water. If I am going out for the entire day, I carry my small Hobie soft sided cooler and put some freezer packs in there along with a couple sandwiches along with the other items mentioned before.

PowerTeam Lures - deadly on bass!!! use promo code "HANOVER" at checkout for a 15% discount

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:28 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hanover_Yakker wrote:
I usually carry simple things for short outings like beef jerky, trail mix and some form of snack bar like a Granola or Fiber One bar and plenty of water. If I am going out for the entire day, I carry my small Hobie soft sided cooler and put some freezer packs in there along with a couple sandwiches along with the other items mentioned before.

This is the kind of stuff I tend to carry. I have to also keep some sweets with me because my blood surgar can take some crazy dips when I get really active.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:02 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Chopped bbq brisket (texas bbq) sandwich' chips fer lunch. Bagel, cream cheese, & smoked salmon sammich for breakfast. Coffee, water & gatorade powder for the washdown.

You gotta eat good when your fishing!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:25 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

When I fish I concentrate so much on the fishing, I often times forget to eat or don't want to take the time. Being a diabetic I need to eat to keep my blood sugar stabilized so I carry mainly protein types of food............and fruit.

My mainstays are vienna sausages, peanut butter sandwiches, lightly salted nuts and beef jerky. Oranges and apples are my preferred fruit.

Of course I always carry a can of sterilized wipes to clean my hands as I am a bait fisherman. :roll:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:26 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Dive-n-Cast wrote:
Chopped bbq brisket (texas bbq) sandwich' chips fer lunch. Bagel, cream cheese, & smoked salmon sammich for breakfast. Coffee, water & gatorade powder for the washdown.

You gotta eat good when your fishing!

Ok I'm going with you. Heck you eat better in the kayak then I do most of the time..... :D

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:35 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'm on the water for between 6-8 hours on a typical kayak-fishing trip.

I usually (80% of the time!) remember to take a water bottle and sometimes (50% of the time?) take a couple of muesli bars along too.

But I'm usually concentrating on the fishing/sailing/pedalling too much to give much thought to eating. Half the time the water and muesli remain untouched.

When I get back to the house, that's when I tuck-in!

There's nothing quite like a family-sized packet of corn-chips and a bottle of ice-cold ginger beer when you've been out on the water for half a day!

Mike.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:04 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

mingle wrote:

I do about the same time, but it's a minimum 90 min drive each way to my spot on the water. Forgetting water here in Houston can be fatal, depending on time of year. As I get older, I've promised my wife that I'll be safe on the water. This includes eating something with some protein & carbs, lots of water, and a small amount of sports drink/soda. Taking a 15-20 min break to drop anchor & chow also gives me a chance to assess the situation a more clearly.

I used to push it hard when I was actively windsurfing a number of years back. I found that most of my dumb/dangerous moves then were made when I was hungry and/or dehydrated.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:10 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Dive-n-Cast wrote:
mingle wrote:

I used to push it hard when I was actively windsurfing a number of years back. I found that most of my dumb/dangerous moves then were made when I was hungry and/or dehydrated.

Dehydration for most of us can put us in real danger physically and mentally, when we are on the water, yakking, or in the water wading for fishing.

An ER doctor/friend gave a first aid lecture for our fly fishing club at my request. Besides the normal warnings on sun blocking, he spent a lot of time on the dangers of dehydration. Dehydration is the number one cause of falls in the elderly and many others, who are younger.

We in the flyfishing community often wear Gore tex waders, jackets and gloves to keep us dry, which they do. While wearing them, we stay dry, but we lose a lot of our body water via evaporation. This ER doc and other doctors feel that the impact of osmosis where a small body of water/us loses water via evaportation to the bigger body we are in is not understood and underestimated.

Wind is another factor for increased dehydration.

I like to freeze a half full water filled Camel Back bag and add cold water to fill it up before I leave home. If it is really hot, I will freeze a whole bag and get cold water most of the day. My sons and I like the Lipton Teas with sugar for that extra pickup. None of us do very well with artificial sweetners in the heat. We get moon faced and mentally out of it if we take on loads of drinks with artificial sweetners.

The loss of body fluids, also, can take a toll on the necessary minerals in our fluid system. I'm impacted with loss of calcium and need to take calcium tablets and drink liquids with calcium like some chocolate milks. A lot of us are on cardiac drugs and need higher intakes of potassium/K. My wife has this problem and loads up on high K foods before, during and after yakking. She eats slices of avacados and drinks Swiss Miss Dark Cocoa mix with chocolate milk in the mix.

Years ago, there was an article on the need for liquid and food intake during warm to hot weather for fly fishers. The author recommended chilled slices of fruit and veggies, grapes and orange slices. He recommended chilled soups for lunch or after the fly fishing. I have found chilled Progresso Chicken with wild rice soup is great. The can has an easy tab pull top. I drink the liquid first and then spoon out the chicken, rice and vegies. Some of the canned soups have a high level of critter fat in them, and they are not as tasty cold. My wife puts a chilled can of Progresso Basil soup into a metal thermos and drinks it to cool her down. One chilled can for hunger on the water and one in a cooler in the truck works great. Basically there is no handling tricks. I just keep a few cans in the bottom of our frig for fly fishing and yakking during hot days.

We both enjoy chunks of chilled cheese or the good cheese sticks that have been chilled and kept in a small cooler bag.

My doctor ER friend said to reserve the jerky, pretzels, chips and nuts until you were off the water and rehydrated with plenty of liquids. Then, it was a good time to eat these things.

Have cool liquids in a cooler in your vehicle to drink while getting the yaks back on your vehicles and to replinish on the trip home. My wife breaks out a chilled bag of sliced vegies and fruits for the trip home.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:25 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Grampa good read. I was warn by my doc about the same issues. One of the things I love to carry are the peeled baby carrots that are keep in the cooler.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:34 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks.

The peeled baby carrots are the munch du jour for my wife and I in our Oasis, beach activities, and for me as a snack while fishing when it is hot.

WJdave wrote:
Grampa good read. I was warn by my doc about the same issues. One of the things I love to carry are the peeled baby carrots that are keep in the cooler.