Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:58 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:09 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have found a 2007 Revolution 13' that has never been used. It has just sat in storage. It has some scratches on the bottom from being moved around and there is a blemish on the stern where the dealer rested a sailing kit. It comes with the standard paddle, mirage drive, bottle, dry bag and owner's manual. It also has two rod holder extender accessories. The owner says they paid $1879 when it was new and is now offering it for $1350. This seems like a fair price to me since it has never been in the water. I will be a new Hobie owner. Does this boat have the newer "snap in" mirage drive or the older twist lock version? Should the yak be cheaper because of the age? Thank you for any input.
Kiteman36

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:19 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'm Canadian, so I'm not an expert on pricing an American boat. But to answer one of your questions, I believe that boat will differ from a new one in that it will have a Lever to pull up the rudder, instead of the new T handles design. If my memory is correct, I also believe that the Mirage drive will NOT have the Click and Go design of current models.

Check out the fins too. See if they're in as new condition as the owner claims. I'm sure others will respond with more information for you.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:39 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sounds like a deal to me. I actually prefer the lever for raising and lowering the rudder.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:41 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

kiteman36,

I have two 2008 models that have lever up/down rudder control and the twist knob mirage drive locks, so the 2007 will be the same. 2010 came with the new snap locks and pull rope up/down rudder control.

As for the price... whether or not it has been in the water IMO it sounds a bit overpriced for the year. Used Hobies hold their price well but for example I got the last 2008 model from my dealer for 1050.00 brand spankin new since he had a showroom full of 2010 models. Personally I would offer him less maybe 1100.00 (maybe he will meet you in the middle). You can see people asking 900.00 to 1300.00 on the web for a 2007 revolution.

Even if he says it has never been used be on the cautious side and look it over well for any cracks at mast brace/support inside hull and at the scupper holes. If possible do a leak test with the kayak on supports and fill with some water and look for drips. Make sure the mirage drive screw locks are not stripped or cracked. Minor scratches, blemishes and wear and tear are ok, just make sure no deep gouges. Inspect and test the rudder control lines.
Inspect the Mirage drive for any chipped sprockets or excessive wear. Look for excessive rust or corrosion at the bare cable area near the bolts on the mirage drive. I have seen posts of cable failures there due to rust or corrosion on older drives). My 08's have had lots of fresh and saltwater use and are still fine.

Just adding my 2 cents.

Revo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:50 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

sorry one more thing

Look close at the fin tips for any sign of a puncture (fin mast popping through the fin) that is a sign of striking the bottom with the mirage drive perforating the fin and possibly bending a mast. Happened to me twice on Oyster bars. Easily repaired but just something to look for.

Revo