Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:41 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:02 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

This weekend I plan on installing an anchor trolley on my Hobie Quest. The kit comes with 60 feet of rope. Do I need to also install a cleat on my kayak to tiel off the extra rope once I'm anchored? I think this will be necessary to keep the kayak from drifting 60 feet away from the anchoring point. I don't want to make the rope shorter because 60 feet might come in handy if I'm in deeper water. I'd love to hear what others do. Any info is much appreciated. Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:42 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi Looshmoot, yes you certainly want some means of tying off excess anchor line. The last thing you need to do is to be waving around in the current on the end of a long line. I have a line winder that allows me to tie off with a half hitch, I then just let the line winder slide up against the clip on the anchor trolley which is fed back to the stern of the yak. A cleat would be another solution. Some people use a buoy the same way as I use the line winder just in case they want to quickly release their anchor to pursue a fish then return to their anchor.

One thing to be aware of is the danger of having the anchor deployed at right angles to the kayak, this can cause all sorts of problems in a strong current. I have a sacrificial link of 30lb nylon connecting my anchor to the line. That way if it gets snagged I can safely break it off with out risking rolling the kayak or falling out in my efforts to free it. It is best to lift from directly above the anchor for maximum stability when retrieving.

Happy fishing.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:25 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I use this to avoid drilling holes in my kayak.

2020 Hobie Outback

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:49 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The link below is an excellent grahic and written summary of how to anchor using an anchor trolley. Remember as pointed out, a mid ship anchor point can be dangerous:

http://www.nativewatercraft.com/article ... ry=fishing

Go to you tube and check out anchoring a kayak for how to's re handling anchor lines and to use a quick release.

looshsmoot wrote:
This weekend I plan on installing an anchor trolley on my Hobie Quest. The kit comes with 60 feet of rope. Do I need to also install a cleat on my kayak to tiel off the extra rope once I'm anchored? I think this will be necessary to keep the kayak from drifting 60 feet away from the anchoring point. I don't want to make the rope shorter because 60 feet might come in handy if I'm in deeper water. I'd love to hear what others do. Any info is much appreciated. Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:03 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

All great posts! Fantastics advice. Thank you all!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:28 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Remember that perhaps the safest way to anchor is to attach a float to the end of the anchor line and then loop the anchor line through the loop on your anchor trolley so both the anchor and float are on the outside. If you get into trouble, just release the line and toss the float. You can come back and pick up the whole mess later. That is also a great way to fish, if you hook a big one and want to chase it down, you can leave your anchor behind and come back and pick it up later.

Rockman
(Striped Bass are also known as Rockfish here in MD)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:59 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Good idea. Thanks, Rockman10!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:52 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I prefer the cam cleats that Harken makes as opposed to a traditional horn-style cleat.