Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:16 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Revo question
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:08 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

hello all,

I purchased a Revo, but have only had one opportunity to use it so far on a calm, deep lake. But I am getting ready for a three or four week fishing odyssey in Florida where I will encounter plenty of shallow water flats in the Everglades and the Keys as well as deep water. I will also fish the Bahia Honda inlet where the current rips in and out. I am debating taking the Revo as I am have not had much of an opportunity to try it out and modify it with rod holders etc.

I would appreciate any advice that would help me decide. Does the Revo work well as a paddle kayak -replacing the drive with the skeg--for shallow water? While peddling in rougher water are there any balance issues one faces when peddling rather than paddling? I am guessing that the seat orientation is more for peddling than paddling. If so, does this come into play when paddling for a day--or impact comfort when spending extended periods, 6 hours or so fishing, using the drive? Do the fins hold up well against a strong tide in an inlet? Part of the appeal of taking Revo is the resistance the mirage drive would afford against the pull of a tarpon etc. And for dealing with windy days.

I know I am writing to the choir, but any advice would be appreciated.

Best and thanks

Post subject: Re: Revo question
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:13 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

You can "flutter" the fins in shallow water by not pushing the pedal all the way.

The Revo (and other pedal yaks) don't paddle well (or at all) with the rudder UP. You'll just keep making u-turns. If it's deep enough for the rudder, it should be deep enough to flutter the fins.

Post subject: Re: Revo question
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:13 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I fish and explore in the very shallow flats in the 10K islands just north of the Everglades. I'm Fluttering all the time. Then when it gets real shallow I just use the bungee to separate the peddles (fins up) and then paddle until I get to deep water. No biggee at all. As far as the wind its a lot easier to peddle against the wind than to paddle. If you do not have an anchor trolley yet don't try to anchor in any current.

Good Luck,
Johnny