Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:52 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Outback?'s
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 8:08 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have one of the originals, hank parker signature. Trying to make it a little better for the wife since I'm getting a PA.

Can I put a twist and stow on the old design?

Original drive, what's the best fins, ST or Turbo?

And last there are pool noodles stuffed in every possible air space in the hull from the previous owner. Is this really needed? Safer? Or was the dude a tweek?

Post subject: Re: Outback?'s
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 11:04 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

After I bought my Outback (2012 model), I found two black foam blocks lodged in the hull underneath each side of the seat. I contacted the dealer and they said they were not necessary but they help keep the kayak stable if you want to stand up. I left them in; I guess your previous owner was trying to make the kayak stable. Not sure if this is standard in Hobies.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 2:57 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have a 2005 Outback (love the secondary stability - much better than the newer Outbacks). I don't think you can put a twist and stow rudder on it - the hull is different. It has what I think is a more dependable rudder system, although you will kick it, hit it and run into it all the time. When retracted, it's in the way. Nature of the beast I'm afraid.

Take note that your current rudder has three positions - up/lock, down/lock and down/unlocked. I run mine in this last position so it'll kick up if I hit anything.

Most all these boats will run just under the waterline if filled with water, but not if you have yourself and any gear in them - that will sink one. So some additional floatation is never a bad idea.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 1:59 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have a 2011 Outback and was debating Fin options. Based on where I fish (back bays with shallow areas) I opted to go with the upgraded ST fins (not Turbo). HUGE speed Difference and much easier in longer distances!

On the reverse: I have been able to easily "flutter" the fins and operate in a few inches on water. Meaning, the Turbos would work as well.

The other advantage I find over the Turbos is that if I "break" them I could always switch back to the origionals very quickly.