Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Secure anchor storage?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:24 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm researching a way to have an anchor system that will secure the anchor from swinging and possibly damaging my Oasis, as well as limit the stress on the mounting on the kayak. I saw this anchormate II http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000AXNCX/ref ... B0000AXNCX and thought it might work since it stores the anchor horizontally. However, the anchor line must go straight down into the hull. That won't work for me.... Any other ideas out there would be welcome!! Thank you!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:34 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I anchor off the bow of my kayak with a quick release system like bsteeves put together on the NWKA site. When I am not using my anchor I throw it, my crab buoys and the spool holding my line in my crate. I am not sure why you need something like the anchor mate. When I pull up my anchor I haul it up by hand and throw the line off the opposite side of the kayak while gently pedaling. When the anchor is in the kayak I reel the line back on the spool (extension cord reel).

A ship in harbor is safe -- but that is not what ships are built for.
--John A. Shedd, Salt from My Attic, 1928

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:23 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Sounds like that system is working for you. Unfortunately my use is a bit different. This will be used primarily for rivers that can have fast currents at times. There's no "pedaling gently" at some of the spots I need to anchor. Also can be very shallow where I can't pedal at all. I'll still be hauling by hand, but need a quick, & secure spot to keep the anchor. I'll secure the line with some sort of cleat. I just picked up the "Anchormate" http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/largeIma ... 765_001_01 , and think this will be a good solution. Especially because the balance point of the weight from the anchor will put less stress on the where it's mounted on the bow.Once I get it set up I'll post photos.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:15 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Let us know how this works out for you.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:32 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Absolutely!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:02 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Definately want to see pics and get your opinion on how this works out. I have arthritis that makes lifting an anchor hard for me and this might be a great solution!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:05 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Stilly wrote:
Absolutely!

I'm new here and found this post. Have you set this up yet? Would love to see pictures.

Thanks,
Tom