Return to

Hobie Forums

It is currently Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:44 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:30 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:48 am
Posts: 205
Location: Portland, OR
I hit the Willamette river in Oregon for a multi-species trip. I was hoping to catch a sturgeon out of the upper river and combine that with some bass fishing. Long story short, I did not get a sturgeon. I believe I had a bite from one but I had forgotten to re-tighten my drag at the start of the day (I loosen drags between trips since it is better for the washers). It was a good strong bite (different from all the pecking that was going on all morning) and when I tightened up to set the hook the fish ripped a bunch of line out and then came off. Felt like a good sized fish.

What I did catch. After a while I was curious who was constantly pecking at my bait so I put a worm on my drop shot rig and lowered it down. I caught several pikieminnow doing this before I got bored. I did cut one up and try it for sturgeon later in the day but did not get a bite.

After about 5 hours of this I decided to try a little bass fishing even though it was the start of a cold snap (temp had dropped about 15 degrees from the day before). I pulled into a little area that is protected from the current and I started slow rolling a spinnerbait through the area. I was not expecting anything but it was a nice change from sitting on anchor. After about 10 minutes I felt like I had a strike, but then passed it off to wishful thinking. About 10 casts later - wham, fish on:


Not was I was expecting. FYI, this is pretty huge for a pikieminnow. I continued to work the small protected area, switching off between the spinnerbait and crawling a crankbait along. When I got the edge of the current I had another strike on the spinnerbait and this fish felt a little better. I carefully worked the fish and was surprised by this nice 2.5lb largemouth:


The fish is curling away from the camera a bit so the pic does not do it justice. I also was impressed by this fishes coloration. I don't think I have ever caught a largemouth with such a pronounced side stripe, it almost looks more like a spotted bass. Well after that fish, I worked the area for a bit longer but did not get any more strikes.

Towards the end of the day I marked some fish in some faster water where it dropped from 10' to about 20'. I thought this is going to be it. I tried nightcrawlers and sent them down to bottom. After a few minutes I got a good bite and set the hook. It felt like a small sturgeon! However, when I got it to the kayak it turned out to be a big sucker (probably about 5lbs or so). I caught several in that spot. I assume that is what I was marking. I tried switching to a chunk of squawfish, but I did not get bit at all on that. After a while I moved on.

So after a long day of sitting in the rain with the wind blowing in my face I decided to call it a day. As I got to the ramp the rain stopped. As I loaded up my kayak the sun broke out and felt really great after spending a fair bit of the day shivering. A beautiful end to day of fishing that was at times disappointing and at others exhilarating. That's just fishing I guess.

Fish tremble when they hear my name :)

A ship in harbor is safe -- but that is not what ships are built for.
--John A. Shedd, Salt from My Attic, 1928

Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
© Hobie Cat Company. All rights reserved.
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group