Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:44 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:14 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Had my 13' Revolution for about 2 months now, and ready to try surf launching and ocean fishing. Looking for tips on launching and returning. I have read as much info as I can find and even watched a number of videos related to launching in the surf.

The area I would be launching is relatively shallow (not a steep drop off once in the ocean), so one option I have considered for the return to shore beaching would be to roll out into waist high water and walk the boat back in to the beach. Depending on the tide, it would not be a very long distance.

Also looking for 2-piece quality rods I can break down for the return trip to shore and stash in the hull, at least the upper section. If you have any or know of any that fit this, let me know as well.

Thanks in advance.
CAP

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:05 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have a Revo 11, here's my 2 cents...

Launching:
If the water is deep enough, walk it in, put in the mirage drive and drop the rudder. If its not deep enough, stash the mirage drive somewhere safe. Either way, hold the kayak perpendicular to the incoming waves. Watch the waves, get a feel for the timing and jump in when you think you will have enough respite from the worse breakers. PADDLE LIKE MAD, keep charging through the waves and don't get parallel to them. Once you are out beyond the first set of breakers, put your mirage drive in if its not already in and pedal on.

Landing:
I usually stash the mirage drive when I am about 100ft from the beach, but I leave the rudder down, and paddle in. Its hard to give advice on this as its always subjective to how bad the surf is, but I can give you two tips that helped me greatly. (1) if you feel like you're losing your stability, you can spread your legs so you have one foot in the water on either side of the kayak, this adds balance and slows you down. (2) lean back if you feel like the wave is pushing you fast enough and the front is starting to dive in, the last thing you want is to get flipped end over end.

In all honesty, I end up bailing when its waist-high and walking it in most of the time. I also stay home if its more than 2ft conditions at the beach though.
I've never tried putting a rod in the hull, but UglyStick (by shakespeare rods) makes good two-piece spinning rods for a great price. I think there is a decent 6'6" Med model that might suit your needs.

Last edited by Jcanracer on Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:14 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

most importantly, LEASH EVERYTHING.
Leash your rods, paddle, and mirage drive. On the ocean, its not "if" but "when" you will roll the first time. Don't lose all your gear like I did :oops:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:58 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Most import thing get hobie mirage drive lease. I had mine leased and rolled it couple time really hard and leash held up like a champ. Like Jcanracer said if you can get to wear you can drop mirage drive in along with rudder, If you can not then head straight into breaker you will have a tendency to pull to left without the rudder not sure if that is case with Revo 13 but with Revo 11 that was the case for me. Coming in can be hardest part some time if your luck you can ride a wave in but you got keep it straight or you going for tumble.

If you wear sunglasses get straps I learned the hard way that when you roll you will forget about your glasses and they will come off. Once you get to a point you can put rudder down remember to cleat the down cord or you will be peddling around in circles like I did first time out :)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:29 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

One interesting thing I observed on my last trip is that the Revo13 which my dad was using took the mild surf launch and surf landing better than my Revo11.
On the launch I think the longer bow allowed the waves to break over it a bit further ahead of the cockpit so he didn't get as much spray in his face as I did. Then again he is a little bit taller than me.
On the landing dad surfed his Revo13 right onto the shore, I wiped out 10 feet from the beach. Might have been his paddling skill (doubtful) or the fact that I was the one carrying the 5gal live-well, while his trunk was empty.