Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:32 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Standing in a Revolution
PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:07 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I originally bought the Hobie Sidekicks so I could stand in my Revo 13. The Sidekicks do make it possible but my problem is that it gets very uncomfortable to stand for any length of time because of the curved surfaces of the cockpit.

Has anyone found any type of solution for this? I have pondered on making some sort of platform that attaches to the gunnels via my GearTracs, but I haven't made the effort to put something together.

I appreciate anyone's ideas or feedback.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:24 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

My solution would be to sell the Revo 13 and/or add an AI, TI or a PA. That would be the sensible solution, for standing. Otherwise your just adding more and more weight to a kayak that was meant to be light in the water, and a good one at that.
8)
Hopefully nobody sold you on the idea that those sidekicks added would allow you to stand in a Revolution 13. :roll: The only thing those sidekicks are good for is for those who want to sail and fear rolling over in a gust, not standing. :o

I love my Revolution 13 and it serves it's purpose as a fairly light Hobie kayak that can reasonable handle rough surf entry/landing, while being stable/mobile enough on the Ocean front for whatever mother nature can throw at it. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:20 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Great idea! Coincidentally, we will be adding a PA or AI to the fleet as soon as we sell our Oasis.

In the meantime, I've been very happy using the Sidekicks on the Revo 13 for almost a year now and I have found them to be a tremendous help when sight-fishing and trying to stand as well as when sitting on my BlackPak.

When fishing on rough days or solo and when sailing, I like having the added stability of the Sidekicks.

I’m not concerned about the -5lbs that the Sidekicks or the weight a platform would add as I have had no problem navigating with much heavier payloads (plus I’ve lost 20lbs in the past two months! :D). Plus, the platform would be a fun project to try out, even if it is a failure.

Take a look at this webpage to see who is promoting the Sidekicks for standing: http://www.hobiecat.com/accessories/sidekick-ama-kit/ (note that it is a Revolution pictured)

Last edited by Wndrfl on Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:53 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I just stumbled across this post as I was searching on standing to fish in a revo. I have a TI and built a casting platform for it. I set it up with one ama like an outrigger canoe. It works out great but taking it out becomes an all day affair due to the size of the boat and need to trailer it. I'm thinking about putting it up for the winter and relying on my Dad's revo, which I have access to.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:01 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

PutAwayWet,

Funny, I was going to contact you about your setup. I had recently commented about it in the Island's General forum and was very interested in hearing how it was performing for you as well as how much weight you think it could handle before the Ama would submerge.

It looks like an awesome weapon for sight fishing!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:35 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Wndrfl,
Sorry I didn't see your other post, maybe I'm not subscribed. I haven't had a chance to use it much but it seems like it will be very effective. It's very stable standing on any area of the platform. My main limitation right now is boat control when you are out on it. Right now I need to be anchored or have the wind in my favor to drift. I need to get a push pole and think poling will work well. I'm also dreaming of a remote control trolling motor but that will have to wait a while. I also think with a second person at the helm you could go for big gamefish (I'd like to go for tarpon). I'm about 185 - 190 and there is plenty of spare flotation on the ama. My main issue right now is time. It's about an hour from west palm to decent inshore fishing north (even that's questionable now with the big O releases). It's an all day affair with all the trailering, driving, setup, and cleanup. I just don't have full days to dedicate to fishing right now. That's why I'm thinking of putting it up and borrowing my dad's revo for the winter. Car topping seems so much quicker and easier right now. Where are you located? If you're close we could meet up and you could try it.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:04 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I grew up in Palm Beach County and I always loved being able to get out to the Gulf stream in minutes. I now live about 200 miles North in New Smyrna Beach and have been flats fishing the Mosquito Lagoon since last May. No concern up here for the Lake O. releases.
I do make several trips down there every year, so I may take you up on that offer. If you ever head up this way, I could show you plenty of great places to launch.

Not sure if you're referring to a Revo 11 or Revo 13 but I use the 13 and my wife uses an Adventure (in kayak mode). It is my observation that, as a kayak, the Adventure is just as easy to handle as the Revo 13 both on and off the water (only 6 lbs difference). On the water, the Adventure easily outperforms my Revo, especially in rough conditions or when paddling. The Adventure also has better storage area, both above and below deck, and the weight capacity is the same for both.

As far as stability is concerned (and not considering hull shape) the Revo 13 may be 1" wider but you sit lower in the water on an Adventure which brings your COG closer to the water......so I don't really have a clue which is more stable :lol: but I do plan on using the Adventure for some outings and will give my opinion when I know more.

Bottom line, if you are referring to a Revo 13, you may be better off just running the Adventure in kayak mode.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:51 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I also travel through your area frequently and would like to learn the kayaking and fishing opportunities there. Do you know of any free or cheap camping areas around there? If I get the revo for the winter I'll put it on the roof on one of my trips through and get in touch. I am talking about a revo 13, but my island is a tandem, all 18' 6" of her. So car topping is out of the question. I do love the boat and the ability to sail , kayak, or fish as an outrigger. I'll just be very limited with available time this winter and the time commitment is increased with the bigger boat and need to trailer it.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:35 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Sorry, I thought it was an AI and not a TI. We would love to have a TI but it does not even fit in our garage.
Do you want primitive camping or 5th wheel camping? There are several areas around here that are very reasonable for both.

I am 100% trailer these days and have no problem parking or using the local launches. We have the Yakima Rack and Roll and it is modular enough where we can use a regular parking spot.

Let me know when you come up this way and I will do my best to put you in a good place to find some fish!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:43 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I'd be looking for areas to tent camp. It looks like some good inshore fishing up your way, hope I can make up that way soon. BTW, how many miles out is the Gulf Stream from your area?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:20 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

There is primitive camping a few yards from some great flats fishing.

You'll need your TI to find the Gulf Stream up here. It is about 30-40nm from the local inlet (Ponce Inlet).

I'll PM you the camping info.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:34 am 
Site Rank - Captain

That's a bit too far for me in the TI! I went about 7 miles out off Jupiter last year with another TI owner that goes frequently. I'm not sure if we were at the stream or not officially but it pulled us quite a ways north. A lot of fun but had a looong pedal back when the wind died. Thanks for the PM on camping info.