Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:59 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 12:48 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Good morning! :D
After you have done a good number of issues with my Revo 13 I came to the conclusion that the new and useful compilation of the Hobie for the headquarters of the transducer leaves something to be desired in terms of the protection system and fixing the transducer .... either because surely there will be a loss of signal and you want because it can build up inside the material and dirt without notice.
Here's what I found while kayaking and always rinse after two outputs from the port and therefore no sand:

And then ...... after talking with a friend of mine, I decided to make a small change using plexiglass with a thickness of 5 mm and aluminum corners.

After mounting, I realized that because of a non-planar abutment seat risked ruining the plexiglass on the bars during the loading and unloading of the machine ....... and then I siliconed it all! :wink:

After the sea trial there has been no problems! :)

That's it, I hope it can be helpful to someone who may not have a car very powerful and maybe accepted recommendations to improve this solution. :wink:
Sorry for the language .
..... Ad Mayora
Nicola !!

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 9:36 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That is some useful info, thanks for sharing!

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 3:30 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I've been very satisfied with the transducer pocket in the bottom of my Revolution. It completely protects my transducer, and my fish finder works very well.

However, I hadn't thought about the possibility that sand or mud could build up on the black cover for the transducer pocket and reduce the effectiveness of the transducer. Now that I've seen your pictures, each time that I get off the water I'm going to throw some water into the transducer pocket in order to wash out any sand or mud.

It seems like an easier solution would have been to cut a hole in the original cover, rather than making a new cover. A possible disadvantage of your new cover is that it puts a thick piece of aluminum right in front of the transducer, which may reduce the effectiveness of the transducer.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 7:05 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

pmmpete wrote:
A possible disadvantage of your new cover is that it puts a thick piece of aluminum right in front of the transducer, which may reduce the effectiveness of the transducer.

Shouldn't reduce the effectiveness any more than if the transducer was attached to an 18' aluminum boat. The transducer, if it's working correctly, transmits sound pulses downward and receives the upward reflected pulse, the transmitter/receiver is pointed down.

The only possible issue I can think of is that the open space at the front and under the transducer may have a flow of water through them that may create bubbles that would interfere with the transducer pulses. With transducers mounted on the stern of a boat, which is not an uncommon place to mount them, sometimes the bubbles from the boat's propeller can cause poor readings. Since you've tried it and don't have any problems, no reason to worry about it.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 9:30 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

ronbo613 wrote:
pmmpete wrote:
A possible disadvantage of your new cover is that it puts a thick piece of aluminum right in front of the transducer, which may reduce the effectiveness of the transducer.

Shouldn't reduce the effectiveness any more than if the transducer was attached to an 18' aluminum boat. The transducer, if it's working correctly, transmits sound pulses downward and receives the upward reflected pulse, the transmitter/receiver is pointed down.

The only possible issue I can think of is that the open space at the front and under the transducer may have a flow of water through them that may create bubbles that would interfere with the transducer pulses. With transducers mounted on the stern of a boat, which is not an uncommon place to mount them, sometimes the bubbles from the boat's propeller can cause poor readings. Since you've tried it and don't have any problems, no reason to worry about it.

Perfect !!! :wink:
In fact, one of the air bubbles was my only question that apparently there ....... also why we do not go to high speeds like a boat.
However, if I have problems you will be the first to know! :wink:

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 2:56 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Man that a great idea to fix a problem .You would think that once you was in the water it wash the sand out . You should patent it Ha Ha . Thanks for sharing

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:24 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

To complete the topic, I post pictures of the solution for mounting the transducer Garmin DV made ​​by my friend Freddy P. on his Outback. :wink:

Un saluto a tutti !!!!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:54 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Elegant and simple solutions...nice work!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 6:48 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

awesome work there DIY guys.

and i don't want to burst anyone bubble, if you believe in your heart that sand affects the transducer signals, please don't read any further.

but, the facts of physics are different. ultrasound travels very well thru solids, liquids and gels. i wrote procedures to utilize ultrasound to inspect feet-thick steel products, searching for flaws the size of a speck of fly poop. the facts of physics are that this sand, the plastic plate and any other debris or material will have no discernible affect on a fish finder. in fact, the elements of your transducer are encased in epoxy and in that plastic housing. please don't cut the housing apart to get to the crystals inside. lol.
the only evil thing would be air--ultrasound cannot pass through air. not even a micron of it. and by that i mean a layer of air. a few bubbles--even a couple dozen pin head size bubbles, are not that big a deal. the speed of your screen is about 1/1000'th of your transducer screen. typically any errors caused by bubbles would be corrected far before you'd see them on the screen.
another fact of physics is a phenomenon called the Fresnel zone, or 'dead zone'. without going into detail, the first basically 12" below the transducer are a dead area, and anything in that area cannot be seen nor will it really affect the transducer, within reason.
guys with million dollar billfish boats quite often mount their transducers shooting through 6" of calusa fiber, or glass or kevlar and they have no issues.

cheers
drew

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:19 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

uno mas wrote:
ultrasound travels very well thru solids, liquids and gels.... the facts of physics are that this sand, the plastic plate and any other debris or material will have no discernible affect on a fish finder.

I'm sorry Drew but you're wrong about sand. :wink:

Try to paste a transducer with silicon and bring back here the sonar view... :o

Last edited by felvic on Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:59 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Personally I do not know exactly what happens with the sand and probably account for a minor but when in doubt I prefer it that way otherwise it is as if I had stuck inside. :wink:
Certainly you can mount transducers that are not Lowrance. :mrgreen:
Thanks for the explanation !! :D
Nicola

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:14 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

i'll just say this, i have a masters degree in mechanical engineering, hold 2 US patents dealing with ultrasound and worked with ultrasound in the nuclear power industry for over a decade. i will humbly say with a lil bit of authority, sand in the pocket of your Hobie Lowrance Ready transducer pocket, will have no affect on the signal of a $99 fish finder, or a $12,000 sonar. as long as there is water in there with the sand, it won't ever in your lifetime matter.

cheers
drew

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:39 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Was having issues with sand as well. Here was my solution:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:08 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

This is probably the simplest solution and economic. :wink:
Nicola

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:44 pm 
Site Admin

Updated advice on Lowrance Ready cover plates concerning sand.

We also believe that sand has little to no effect on the signal, but it is easily avoided without modifying the plate.

The big issue is if sand or mud are allowed to dry and harden in the cavity during storage between sessions. The next time you go out this material may not easily flush out on it's own.

To prevent an issue... Simply flush the cavity with water from a hose or bucket by directing the flow down the scupper hole after fishing. It will easily clear when wet.

Simply maintenance.

If you are concerned about sand that may have entered the plate area during a launch and not cleared, the natural surge of water in and out of the area should clear it as you move through the water. If you aren't sure... pour some water down the scupper.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)