Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:56 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:14 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Might talk to these folks. It's run by a couple of former high school students of mine, Mike and Joel. I did mention to them there might be a big market for something like this. There are YouTube videos of their products driving kayaks. https://www.currentdrives.com

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:31 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

SFHarry wrote:
Might talk to these folks. It's run by a couple of former high school students of mine, Mike and Joel. I did mention to them there might be a big market for something like this. There are YouTube videos of their products driving kayaks. https://www.currentdrives.com

Thats awesome!

I always wondered what benefit a shroud around the prop would give. Or even narrowing the trail end of the shroud.

Im working on a smaller version of what I have now. Gonna mount it to a PA 12 (sold the quest).

Have to look into the 18# motor. Looks promising. As well as the LifePo batteries.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 1:16 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The problem with these drives is not having a way for them to kick up when they strike something. No a problem with a surf board as it is likely to hit the beach without its rider but definitely a problem with a kayak that grounds. I see the same problem with the propeller driven boats that use pedal power as well.

I want a power assist to pedal power and not something that requires removing the Mirage drive unit. The Torqeedo Ultralight 403 is still the best solution. It's only drawback is its cost. In all other respects it is the perfect solution. As a lithium battery costs $600-$700 regardless of the drive unit the "premium" for the Torqeedo is about $600 as compared to buying an off the shelf trolling motor for salt water use. It is well worth the extra cost to have the GPS and power integration provided to maximize the distance per charge and the added benefit of being able to change the battery while out on the water for even greater range.

Anyone with a Hobie with the Mirage drive already has paid a $700 premium to get that drive as compared to a paddle powered kayak. Paying an additional $700 premium for the Torqeedo 403 is right in line with that cost to get a state of the current art, electric drive system.

The only problem is one of attitude when people want the best possible solution but it also has to be dirt cheap. I find that unrealistic as there are always trade-offs, including the time invested to create a "cheaper" solution and to keep it operating over time.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 3:42 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I built a break away for the motor I posted on page 1.

You can hit whatever you want and it will pop up. Then the weight of the motor locks itself back into place when clear of trouble.

You just have to make sure your fail safe you put in place is strong enough to stay when using reverse. Mine will in speed one and two. If I go straight into speed three the motor will kick. Ease into three and its fine.

So its not a problem and the solution is super cheap.

Personally ive never needed to know voltage, or run time. Never came close to discharging my AGM. I will however buy a voltage guage if I upgrade to a lifepo4 w/integrated circuit.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:23 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Wintersun:
Well said, that's the most profound and well thought out analysis I have heard to date. I have always contended that the mirage drive on Hobies kayaks is their most valuable asset. Even with my giant TI with all of it's sails the main propulsion on the boat is still the mirage pedal system. I contend anyone using electric propulsion should only be using that for suplimental power. By pedaling 100 percent of the time at a leisure pace anyone of average ability can pedal for many hours, to add a little more speed suplimental electric power can be added as needed (never primary propulsion). I also feel the same about the sail kit when we had our Hobie revo's we would always have the sail kit strapped to the side, if winds were favorable for sailing we would raise the sails to assist in propulsion. If not we just left them furled and use the pedal drives and paddles. By using all the 4 modes of propulsion at the same time and alternately (paddle/peddle) the range on these boats is beyond anything else on the market.
Putting the evolve into the mirage drive well I feel was Hobies greatest blunder to date, and mounting the motor on the T/S rudder was just as foolish. I think the whole works would make much more sense with a simple swing up ball mount (like the 403 has). If you don't need the motor at the moment, you simply swing it up out of the water and there is no drag from the unit, if you happen to hit something the motor kicks up harmlessly, and best yet, you can use all the propulsion methods simultainously to get you where your going.
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but battery/electric propulsion is still 20-30 yrs away from being able to provide the power and range that people really want at an affordable price. Until that day arrives the best solution out there is the torqeedo 403 system in my opinion, but only as supplemental propulsion, you still have to pedal and sail (when wind is favorable), stretching as much out of the batteries as possible, of course solar panels will help as well.
If going offshore on the bigger boats like the TI and trying to cover 15-50 mile areas, the only solution I know of is gas hybrid propulsion. By utilizing all the available power sources (ie... Peddle,paddle,sail, and gas propulsion) all at the same time (which is what I do) with the latest generation of extremely quiet fuel efficient engines you can easily achieve 100 to 150 mpg with a 200 mile range and be able to cruise at 8-10 mph.
This is definitely not the same thing as buying a honda outboard and hanging it on your boat and sitting back letting the engine do all the work (like powerboats), I'm totally against this, and even with a stock honda 2.3 you are only going to go 6mph max at wide open throttle (WOT) and get about 18-20 mpg. Plus gas engines at WOT are very loud (even the honda).
I much prefer using all the available power sources at the same time with a hybrid setup.
Someday I'm hoping to replace the gas engines with electric but I'm afraid the technology is still a ways off, if nobody else figures it out, I will but it will take me a few more years.
Of course all I discribe is for open water offshore use, anybody using their kayaks in lakes and protected areas, everything is available now, and it all works really well.
Bob