Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:45 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:20 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have a set of 2012 mirage pedals and I've never broken a shaft on that years model, it's been put through the test as much as my 2013 mirage pedals which have broken not once on both sides, but twice with a set of replacement shafts from 2013 batch, as Matt confirmed. Personally I would be suspect of any 2013 mirage pedal shafts and keep an extra shaft with tools for replacement on the water if going on any extreme excursions.
Knowing what I know now, I would probably look into new replacement shafts for those 2013's if you are doing any extreme excursions, but more than likely, you would have already broken those shafts if you are a serious kayaker, if you haven't, then those shafts are probably from an okay batch, ie, those shafts have been put thru the test.
If not put thru the test and you are planning to do some serious excursions. Beware and prepared for the possibility of breaking a 2013 shaft while on the water.

Good question Lameduck on what seriel number shafts 2013 are suspect or known to be an issue, so as not to get an old lemon set in 2014. Yes, a recall of those shafts should have been done, in my opinion, but at least Hobie does a great job in warranty replacement.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:21 pm 
Site Admin

GT drives would be 100% good. Any crank arm ordered from the parts department have been 100% good since last Spring. Failures ran in the couple-percent-of-production range so, a very small number of failures compared to production numbers.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:18 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

i just don't get it. i know literally hundreds of Hobie owners from all over the southeastern united states, many of whom are hard core tournament anglers who punish their gear to the very limits. some are guides who have novice kayakers running into things hard on a daily basis and still others who have thousands of hours on their drive units. i have never once met one person, in person, who has had a pedal crank shaft break. other failures--chain or cables, yes. what the heck is going on over on the left coast? are you guys that dang buff, with buns of steel that you are ripping the pedals off these things?

cheers
drew

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:19 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Well, here in Costa Rica, Surfingringo and I are 4 for 4 on breakage of the 2013 mirage drive shafts, that's 100 percent failure rate within less than a year, all at the base, both sides. He now has the new improved 2014 shafts, as described by Matt, for over a month now and no problems. I'm still waiting for mine. Meanwhile I use the 2012's, never an issue since owning early 2013.

Though we fish a lot and have to move in and out of the surf. We aren't using our pedals any more extreme than any one else, just logging in a lot of hours.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:49 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I've made several pairs of solid aluminum crank arms for my Hobie Adventure. My purpose was to experiment with different crank lengths, not to deal with breakage, since I'e never broken one. If you want more details, see this thread on the NCKA forum:

http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index ... ic=54481.0

The first pair I made had some issues, but the rest all turned out very nice. Btw, if you want the precise measurements I used (drill bit sizes, spacing, etc.), go to post #15 in the NCKA thread and click on "dimensions.pdf"---it appears just above the pictures (look closely, as it's easy to miss).

All of the cranks I've made so far used solid 6061-T6 aluminum bar. Locally, I can get the metal for a pair of cranks for about $10, and it's less than that online. I'd be willing to bet that you couldn't damage them if you tried.

The last I heard, the guy who is selling crank arms on the NWKA forum (he also sells them on the NCKA forum that I frequent) is charging $125 per pair. According to discussions on the forum, those cranks are made out of solid 7075 aluminum, they're anodized, they're drilled for 9/16" bike pedals, and they include a nifty stainless spindle that allows you to use the standard Hobie pedals. I'm not saying they aren't worth the money, but IMHO you can make your own bulletproof crank arms for a small fraction of that price.

DIY only makes sense if you are OK with bike pedals (as opposed to the standard Hobie flat "pedals") and provided that you have (or can borrow) a drill press. If so, the only significant expense is the taps needed for cutting bike pedal threads. Such taps can be had for about $40 a pair (less for the 1/2" pedals that I use). But, if you only need one or two sets of cranks, there's no point in buying the taps, since any respectable bike shop should be able to cut the threads for a small fee.

Just something you might want to consider...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:46 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks Nowhereman for your informative post. I was considering such a purchase of DIY shafts but after hearing from Matt on their improved and tested 2014 shafts, along with a motor mod I made, I will go with the Hobie 2014 replacement shafts and fear not the reliability.

8) CR Yaker

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:01 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Mark:
That's the wise choice in my opinion (adding a backup motor). My feeling is anything can and will happen offshore, and I have been out in bad conditions far enough offshore where even perfectly good mirage drives couldn't help me, as I couldn't overcome the wind and current enough to help myself out of trouble with the pedal drives. Adding the motor gave me a higher degree of security where I have the ability to get home if the going gets tough. Of course nobody plans to go out in those conditions, but at least in my experience conditions can change quickly out on the water, and it's best to have backups of everything.
If I'm 5 miles out and a storm comes up suddenly (happens a lot in Florida), I want the means to be able to 'get the heck out of dodge' ( what I call it when I'm floundering and making a run for shore to get out of danger).
In the scheme of things on a TI, the additional 25 or so lbs of a motor mounted and tilted up on the ready doesn't affect the sailing performance of the boat at all (actually that little extra weight on the stern helps) . Actually I've had emergency backup motors mounted on my TI for 4 1/2 years now, and have never gone out without a motor on the boat (ever), even if I didn't use it at all, it always gave me the peace of mind if something bad happens I have a better chance to get back to shore with a reliable backup engine and a hundred miles of fuel on board (a couple gallons).
Actually the reason I got the motor in the first place is on the first time out on our maiden voyage on our TI in spring 2010, my wife and I went just off shore outside big pass in Sarasota bay, where the wind died and we had to peddle as hard as we could for 2 hrs to get back to safety fighting a 5 knot current pushing us out to sea. My wife insisted I get a motor so something like that never would happen again, true story, that was the only time I ever took my TI out without a motor.
Bob

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:24 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks Bob, your informative posts current and in the past on the Honda 2.3 helped convince me that I could benefit greatly likewise. At first I scoffed at the idea of a motor. But after the past year while doing long trips out front with the AI, I found I couldn't go as far as I needed to get to the good Pelagic fishing grounds, yet remain safe, which convinced me that the motor mod was in my cards. Now I couldn't imagine going out front any distance without one..

8) CR Yaker

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:12 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have two outbacks. 2011 and 2013...I think. Just broke the drive on my 2013. The Mirage drive is too much of an advantage to give up. But there's an issue I think when I have to carry two drives to make sure I can get back. You just aren't going to paddle an outback against a wind very far. Especially when you are upper body muscles aren't used to it! lol.

So what I am hearing is the issue has been resolved? If so, how do I ask the retailer whether the replacement arms they have in stock are the "fixed" variety or the older problematic style.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:19 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Solid pedals arms are the way to go. One guy I know has broken 7 sets of Hobie arms. He has been using my solid arms for about 6 months now with no problems.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:23 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I can attest these solid arms are "Da Bomb"!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:30 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
Solid pedals arms are the way to go.

Old issue... not necessary. Problem solved long ago now. Solid=more weight.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:34 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

mmiller wrote:
Quote:
Solid pedals arms are the way to go.

Old issue... not necessary. Problem solved long ago now. Solid=more weight.

Then why do guys keep breaking them? Personally I'll carry a few extra ounces for the peace of mind that my arms won't break 3 miles offshore.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:47 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If someone wants to order a pair of the solid arms shown above, the contact source is Bill at [email protected]
Several of us who belong to the NWKA, ordered these arms last year. And although I never broke a pedal arm on either my Outback and now PA-14, I bought the solid arms just as "reasonable insurance".

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:15 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

As Matt said, problem has been resolved. I've yet too or hear of anyone breaking the 2014 and post pedal shafts. Just get ahold of your hobie rep and file a claim. All the stock replacements are up to date, as quoted by Matt.