Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:02 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:01 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Has anyone mounted an anchor trolley and the horizontal rod holder (which holds the tip in place near the front end) on the same side of the kayak?
Or, second part of the same question - can that rod holder work with the paddle clip?
I also want to attach an anchor trolley and think there might be a conflict - want to be sure before I start drilling holes!
Fly fishing is the goal, fresh water lakes.
Also planning on putting in a Fish/Underwater obstacles finder (side arm transducer mount) which adds to the mix of what goes on which side but maybe that should be a separate topic.
As you can tell - just a newbie to rigging out a kayak - a 2014 Revolution 11
Thanks for any info you feel like passing my way.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:37 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Sylvia wrote:
Has anyone mounted an anchor trolley and the horizontal rod holder (which holds the tip in place near the front end) on the same side of the kayak? Or, second part of the same question - can that rod holder work with the paddle clip?
I also want to attach an anchor trolley and think there might be a conflict - want to be sure before I start drilling holes!
Fly fishing is the goal, fresh water lakes.

Why do you need a horizontal rod holder which holds the tip in place near the front end? It seems to me that the primary reason for this kind of rod holder is if you go in and out through surf in your kayak, and are worried that a flip would break rods which are sticking up in the air from rod holders. Buy a rod holder for fly rods such as the Scotty 265 fly rod holder and mount it someplace convenient on your Revolution. If you have any tracks on your kayak you can mount the fly rod holder in the track with a Scotty Gearhead base. If you don't have any tracks on your kayak, you can install a Scotty flush mount someplace on your gunwales. The only time your fly rod will get in the way when lake fishing is if you are coming into shore through bushes or trees with overhanging branches. In that kind of situation, take the rod out of its rod holder and lay it down in your kayak pointing straight forward or straight backwards while you're landing.

Sylvia wrote:
Also planning on putting in a Fish/Underwater obstacles finder (side arm transducer mount) which adds to the mix of what goes on which side but maybe that should be a separate topic.

A major advantage of the 2014 Revolutions is that they have a transducer pocket in the bottom of the kayak. If you use the transducer pocket, your transducer will be permanently installed in a safe and protected location. You'll never need to mess with it again. If you mount your transducer on a boom, you'll need to mount it on your kayak every time you go fishing, you'll need to raise it every time you go into shore, you'll need to lower it every time you leave the shore, and you'll need to take it off your kayak every time you quit fishing for the day. So forget about installing a boom and use the transducer pocket!

However, if you have a fish finder with sidescan sonar, you'll need to mount it on a boom because the transducer has to be below the level of the keel of your kayak. A sidescan transducer won't work in a transducer pocket. Another reason to use a transducer boom is if you want to be able to move your entire fish finder set-up from one kayak to another easily, by having a battery box which mounts on a gear track, with the fish finder bolted on top of the battery box, and a transducer arm mounted on the side of the battery box. With that kind of setup, you can remove the entire fishfinder outfit from your kayak in one piece in a few seconds.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:37 am 
Site Admin

pmmpete wrote:
Why do you need a horizontal rod holder which holds the tip in place near the front end?

Spare rods... Low hanging trees... and of course surf. All good reasons for secure storage.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 4:07 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The protection to the ends of the sticks are also efficient for fisheries in places with very close vejetação. A Brazilian fisherman, Mr. Roberto Martins, has developed a removable solution when the use is with sticks of different size or prescaria is performed at sea. The solution is based on neodymium magnets (HD computer).
[youtube2]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4JszzlMUpI&list=UU6gdsMjSblF-X5nFpXgFfsg[/youtube2]

ex Outback 2014
ex Outback 2013

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:36 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the replies.
Yes, I am now aware of the many Scottie products, and they do seem quite suitable for my needs and the bonus is they are made on Vancouver Island which is where I live too - fabulous to support the local manufacturers!
RE the fact that 2014 Rev's come with a transducer pocket - not so, at least not the 11's. We were actually told this was the case, so we ordered two 2014 11's rather than take one off the floor which did not have the built in transducer ready kit as offered in other models. Our salesperson was misinformed and when we got them home there was no built in on the bottom.
So, next step was to get all the other stuff to get some underwater visibility, and lo and behold, the model of "fishfinder" we chose wouldn't have worked with any Hobie built in anyway. So, that is why we are going to the side arm mount. Yes, it will be a bit of a nuisance, but this is all a big learning curve anyway, so it is just one more thing to absorb and adapt to.
Being out on the water seems worth it. We still have to install all this stuff, just got a real reluctance to drilling any holes, you know?
Yes, the track system appeals the most, and we happy to see so many "how to" videos out there.
Thanks again.
Sylvia