Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:15 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:50 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey all,

I live in South Florida and recently got interested in kayak fishing for offshore beach launch. I will be renting one (non hobie) this week to make sure that I love it before getting one myself. I have pretty much nailed down to a PA14 for its stability. I have thought about getting the outback but I like the width of the PA. Also, I most likely will only go out when the wind speed is under 8 or 9 mph.

I am looking at an used 2013 PA14 around $2200, however, just found out that the 2015 PA14 has new longer rails. My question (one of many to come :) ) is...is it worth getting a new one with the rudder tension control (introduced in the 2014 version) and the longer rails in the 2015 version???

Thanks in advance!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:50 am 
Site Rank - Captain

yakvader wrote:
Hey all,

I am looking at an used 2013 PA14 around $2200, however, just found out that the 2015 PA14 has new longer rails. My question (one of many to come :) ) is...is it worth getting a new one with the rudder tension control (introduced in the 2014 version) and the longer rails in the 2015 version???

Thanks in advance!

It was worth it to me. I have a 2012 PA14, but just purchased a 2015 PA14 (I will keep the 2012 to bring family and friends out). The longer rails and the new accessory mounts give you a lot of options to position your rod holders, fishfinder, downriggers, etc.

The 2015 also comes with the drop-down skeg, which is supposed to give you a little better handling in less than ideal conditions.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:23 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Welcome! Whereabouts are you located?
If you were not completely sold on the Pro Angler, I have an Outback for sale at a very modest price:
viewtopic.php?f=30&t=53347

I'm in Pembroke Pines and I can also show you around a few local kayak fishing sites if you'd like (Pompano Beach, Dania Beach, Key Biscayne).

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:59 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Mtmouse wrote:

It was worth it to me. I have a 2012 PA14, but just purchased a 2015 PA14 (I will keep the 2012 to bring family and friends out). The longer rails and the new accessory mounts give you a lot of options to position your rod holders, fishfinder, downriggers, etc.

The 2015 also comes with the drop-down skeg, which is supposed to give you a little better handling in less than ideal conditions.

Hey Mtmouse, thx for the input. Although the 2015 PA14 is very tempting, I just picked up the 2013 PA14 with a couple goodies like hobie livewell and drift sock. Since it was my first fishing kayak (was supposed try it first on a rental but never got a chance), I didn't want put so much into a new kayak. I have tried it in freshwater and it feels great! Can't wait to be fishing on it!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:22 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Jcanracer wrote:
Welcome! Whereabouts are you located?
If you were not completely sold on the Pro Angler, I have an Outback for sale at a very modest price:
viewtopic.php?f=30&t=53347

I'm in Pembroke Pines and I can also show you around a few local kayak fishing sites if you'd like (Pompano Beach, Dania Beach, Key Biscayne).

Hey Jcanracer! Thanks for the offer, but I just got one today. That is a good price! I will let my buddy know since he might be interested in getting one. He's smarter cause he's going wait until after he tried it first. Haha.

I am in Plantation. Would be great if you can show me some fishing sites! Do you surf launch or ramp?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:44 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I beach launch since my preferred fishing is offshore.
The two most popular areas closeby are:

- Dania Beach. park by the pier and launch on the left side (north) of the pier since that section of beach doesn't have lifeguards. Parking is $2. The paddle out to blue water takes a while but you will have reefs at half mile, 1 mile and 1.5 mile I think. 1.5 miles gets you to 150' and is a good depth to run live bait for sailfish & kingfish. Deeper water (300+) for vertical jigging (black fin tuna and wahoo) is almost 3 miles out.

- Pompano Beach. Home to the Extreme Kayak Fishing Tournament series http://www.extremekayakfishingtournament.org/
There are many places to launch, but just make sure that wherever you land that you are not coming into a lifeguarded swim zone. You will get to deep water (200+) and multiple wrecks in this area very quickly. Big amberjacks call those wrecks home and sprinkled through out the area will be decent sized kingfish, Mahi, sailfish, and even Wahoo.

- Boynton Beach. I've been up this side to fish a few times, but I'm less familiar with it. Conditions were similar to Pompano beach and a very strong current.

Wherever you end up going, don't go alone, and do watch out for sharks, boats, and a strong current.
I highly suggest joining this site and looking for local events that you can tag along with: http://www.meetup.com/SFLKayakFishing/