Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:02 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Santee, SC
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:32 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Need advice on fishing the Santee, SC area. I plan to fish for bass (not stripers) and catfish in the Santee area the first week of April 2015. I have never fished the area before. I will be using my Outback and would like to avoid the motor boat crowd. I recently stayed for two nights in Santee doing some scouting of the area. I spoke with both a ProBass rep visiting the area and a local Catfish fisherman who worked at the refuge. The ProBass rep suggested, that for bass (assuming largemouth), the Jacks Creek marina area located on the north side of Lake Marion, west of I-95. The Catfish gentleman suggested the deep channel in the same lake. I would appreciate any advice on fishing Lake Marion or Lake Moultrie. Launch sites, baits, lures, tactics, etc. Thanks in advance.

Post subject: Re: Santee, SC
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:42 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

You need to head to Moncks Corner. Stay in town there or either rent a room at Blacks Fish Camp. The area you want to fish is the Hatchery WMA on Lake Moultrie. It's a huge shallow water stump flat. There will be power boats in there but nobody can run on plane in the stump fields. Also, very nearby is Duck Pond. It's another section of Lake Moultrie that is a big shallow bedding area. Personally I'd never leave the Hatchery if I were you. Both of those areas are bedding areas and every bass will be fighting for real estate in there. That's where the KBF Open was won a couple years ago and the majority of the biggest fish caught that week came from the Hatchery!

Post subject: Re: Santee, SC
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:43 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Ring King,
Thanks for your reply. I've located Black's Camp on my area map. Our first launch will now be there and we'll head for the Hatchery. We won't be staying at Black's Camp on this first trip as we already have made arrangements to stay in the town of Santee.