Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:29 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:06 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I installed an Elite 5 Chirp on my 2015 Outback and all went well except the Sonar cable does not seal using the standard hobie through hull wiring kit. The transducer cable is made of two wires, one to the transducer and one for data; the are both the same size in diameter and the through hull kit doesn't have a rubber plug (that seals the through hull fitting) that fits properly.

Matt (Hobie).. is a new rubber plug available for the new style Lawrence units and if so what is the part number. I suppose I could just use marine taped to make the diameter of the second wire wider for now.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:43 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Odd cause I just installed the same unit on the same outback and had the right rubber plugs to use. Hobie provided inside the booklet package extra rubber plugs to account for different units. I had one with 2 hopes both the same size and it worked. If not just use the one with the big hole. Water will not get it that tiny hole but you can always goop a little.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:27 pm 
Site Admin

Nothing new here. The "tree" includes several with double holes (look at far side).

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:20 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Its not a big deal, I can jury rig it to seal correctly using tape or heat shrink for a more professionally installed look. I was just checking if Hobie had an updated kit that contained a single rubber seal with two medium holes. My three through hull kits were bought back when the 2013 PA was released, pre-HDI. I'm probably gonna by another through-hull kit anyway as I'm considering buying a second eVolve motor. My current evolve is installed on the PA14.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:11 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hi doubleoseven,

I also like to install that lowrance elite 5 chirp but not sure if the the provided transducer will fit at the bottom tranducer bracket/area onto my Hobie tandem island 2015. Did you make any change/adjustment before installing the transducer?

Hi Matt
Are the outback 2015 and my ti 2015 contain the same !measurements inside that tranducer-ready holder?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:45 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I have the Elite 5 CHIRP on my '15 TI and the transducer fits fine. The mounting hole is right up toward the very top of the mounting fingers, but it fits.

On the head-end feed through I wanted to keep the data cable and also wanted only one bulkhead feedthrough. I wound up snipping away at one of the rubber plugs to fit all three cables and fill most of the void then sealed the remaining gaps up with marine GOOP once I had the cables run.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:02 am 
Site Admin

Transducers do vary with what SKU you purchase. All of the transducers we sell with the Elite5-Chirp fit.

All Lowrance ready transducer mounts are the same... model to model as far as I know... no changes.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:44 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks Matt and Joe for the information. I also found a very helpful topic in this forum about this FF in "beware of the lowrance elite HDI fishfinder install". This forum is really amazing.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:39 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Matt,
I went to hobie website and noticed they have the new lowrance chirp now so ill just get everything from hobie including the battery package. Do you have a customer service where i can ask some of my concern? Just wanted to know if everyrhing will be an easy install or need to drill a new hole. Do i need to order from my dealer or i can buy all these directly from hobie?
Thank you

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:27 am 
Site Admin

All sales are through a dealer. Ask them first and if not happy with the answer... you can email our fish staff at [email protected]

There should be no installation issues with the items as listed in our catalog.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:40 pm 
Site Admin

Hobie Factory install Video:

http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=54376

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)