Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:29 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Carrying my new Outback
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:06 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Is it just me, or do the new side carry handles make the outback near impossible to carry? I've had many kayaks in the past and have always been able to just use the side handles to lift and carry my boats to and from the yard to my car, etc. I have a cart to transport the fully loaded yak to and from the water but find it ridiculous to have to use it just to put it away at the end of the day. Is it the new location? Has it always been lopsided towards the rear? I've actually lifted and carried the outfitter tandem from the side handle with ease. It's my first outback so I don't know. I've currently resorted to putting a strap through the scupper and the through the handle as a makeshift shoulder strap. Should I go ahead and just install my own side carry handle before I break my wrist?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:24 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

This is your first Outback? Then be glad you didn't get one of the pre-2015 models which had one solid handle and one floppy fabric handle :lol: it was damned near impossible for me to carry overhead like I do with my revolutions. Also, yes, my 2013 was also more weight biased to the rear. I was happy to see the new handles on the 2015 Outback, but by then my mind was already made up to buy a Revolution13.

Installing handles that suit your specific needs would probably help.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:51 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I've found in my life that the one single invention that changed society more than any other was the wheel. I use it every chance I get and find it really helps my back. Why would you want to carry a large awkward load when you can just wheel it. Maybe I'm just getting old or maybe just a little wiser.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:12 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Haha the wheel is def one of the best innovations outside fire. That's why when i bought my hobie outback I spent the money on trailer. I'm not lifting that beast like I did my ascend fs10.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:36 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Oh I agree, cart is a MUST, but I was thinking the OP might be having difficulty carrying it or loading it in situation where the wheels wouldn't help, like car-topping or moving it around storage area etc.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:02 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Speaking of carts, I just bought one of the Hobie Trax 2 carts with the cart keepers and clamps. I had thought that the black plastic "keepers" would fit snugly into the wider cut out at the bottom of the scuppers, keeping the kayak off the padded post of the cart. But mine don't really line up with the scupper cut outs and the bottom of the hull sort of sits on the edge of the cart keepers. Are they supposed to be that way? Have I got the keepers installed incorrectly on the cart struts? It seems to me the bottom of the hull would be better off resting on the padded crossbar rather than have the bottom edge of the scuppers resting on part of the keepers.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:11 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

some users put tennis balls or spacers on the posts so that the lowest part of the kayak hull does not rest on the cart's crossbar.

Having the hull rest on the crossbar for extended periods of time will deform the hull and you get a dent/flat-spot at the point of contact.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:59 am 
Site Rank - Captain

correct, the scuppers are the strong point to carry the load

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:00 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Jcanracer wrote:
Having the hull rest on the crossbar for extended periods of time will deform the hull and you get a dent/flat-spot at the point of contact.

The hull can become deformed just from being on the cart for the brief period of time the kayak is being moved to and from the water?? I mean, no one is going store their boat out of the water on a cart will they?

I also wish Hobie put locks on the cart wheels. When I wheeled my Sport into position and tried to lift the front onto a cradle to do some work, and then let go of the bow handle to lift up the other side, the kayak rolled backwards and the bow slammed onto the floor.

Twice.

I had to look all over the garage for something to use temporarily as a chock for the wheels. Even that was less than ideal. Finally I decided to put some unused foam gym mat tiles down under the length of the boat. But I can envision the same thing happening in a parking lot somewhere when I try to load it onto my car.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:50 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hobie should design one quick retracting rollerblade style wheel into the rear skeg area of every kayak.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:46 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

mpcguy wrote:
Hobie should design one quick retracting rollerblade style wheel into the rear skeg area of every kayak.

that will aid you when rolling your yak on hard surfaces... then when you hit dirt or sand... it'll be quite a drag imo...
then you'll swap out to a wheeleez wheel?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:47 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

As far as the original question I used rivets and attached this handle from an Ocean Kayak. Works great and gives me more options when loading and unloading.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:25 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'm going to add a similar handle to my Revo13, its a very useful position.