Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:08 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:16 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

1st post. I am ready to order a new Hobie Mirage fishing kayak. Can not decide between the Outback or the PA14. Cost difference is not the major factor but don't want to throw money away. I will trailer either so that is not a factor. I have just retired at 65. I am 6 ft. Tall and 205 lbs. health is good but back is not so good and stability could be somewhat of an issue. I live near Memphis and there is not a Hobie dealer within 150 miles so all my info has been web based to date. Primary use will be in north Mississppi reservoirs, and small to medium size lakes. Also will travel to Florida Gulf Coast a couple of times a year for two to three weeks at a time and am looking forward to fishing the bay's. Lastly, may try to float fish some rivers in North Carolina where my daughter and her family live. Did I mention this is my 1st kayak experience. I realize both of these boats are excellent and both have their strengths but have to admit I am somewhat overwhelmed by all the info I have sorted through the last few weeks. So, if anyone has a solid opinion based on what I wrote above this newbie could sure. Use some help. Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:25 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You really need to demo both Hobie's to find out which one is more comfortable.

Stability of the Outback is good, but not as good as the PA and the room factor difference is major.
I started off with an Outback for 3 years and then to a PA-14 almost 2 years ago......I am older than you, 6' and 172 lbs.....I have an inner ear issue so my balance is marginal....I have not had any "tipsy" issues with my PA-14 and it's simply by far easier to move around while in the water....just opening the front storage hatch on my old Outback was a pain.....my body is not as limber as it once was :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:14 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

My one friend has the PA, my other friend has an Outback, and I have the Revo 13. We all like our boats. However, if cost isn't a big factor (you said it wasn't), I don't see any downside to the PA other than it is a heavier boat (if you have to pick it up) and probably not the best choice if you want to use the traditional kayak paddle other than for simple maneuvering. Other than that, if your primary purpose is fishing I don't see how you could go wrong as the PA is really well designed for it.

I will probably add a PA to my collection at some point, but I would also not get rid of my Revo when I do. I think I would still enjoy both, depending on which lake I was going to fish. Plus I would have a spare boat in case anyone wanted to go fishing with me.

I couldn't say which would be more comfortable for you but at the same time I can't think why the PA wouldn't be more comfortable since it has more room in just about every way. If you thought you might want to stand up in it, the PA is also the way to go.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:33 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

for rivers and creeks that are narrow or shallow, to the point of dragging over gravel or sand bars, the Outback would be a better choice...other than that it seems the PA would be good for you. Now decide what size PA.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 4:31 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I love my 2015 outback. It's light and does great in the lakes here.
56yo, 240lbs, bad knees.... back in good shape thank god!

G