Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:31 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:54 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm in the market for my first fishing kayak and have narrowed it down to the Outback and Revolution 13. I'll primarily be in large lakes (Tahoe, Shasta, Oroville) roughly 80% of the time, but would also like the ability to go into the ocean for salmon, rockfish and halibut here on the north coast in California.

I know much of the decision is user preference and comfort within each kayak, but would love to hear opinions of others. I figure both will do the job, but when wind and current comes up on the ocean I'd like to be able to make it back at a safe pace.

Thanks,
Greg

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:57 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Outback is a more well rounded vessel. You can stand up, it's reasonably fast/light, lots of space. Revolution is for distance fishing, better suited inshore/offshore where you travel long distances. Probably can't stand without some yoga practice.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:06 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Outback is more roomy, Revo is faster but a bit more tippy. I chose the Outback cuz I do not want to tip over and this helps minimize tipping.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 3:12 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks guys. I'm going to test out both this weekend.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 7:24 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

What is your kayak experience like prior to this?
The Revo is awesome but if you are not used to kayaks you might find it more "tippy" than an Outback.
Revo is a bit faster, sleeker, and cuts through waves rather than bounce over them (hello hull slap!) like the Outback. Revo is a bit easier to carry than the Outback as well.
On the plus side for the Outback though, it has a wider deck which makes it more stable in all conditions, gives additional weight capacity, and you can stand in it more easily than the Revo. The 2 additional rod holders are also a definite plus.

Boils down to personal preference.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:35 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I had a 2013 revo and a 2015 outback. Revo is faster but outback was much better. If you can get the rectangle hatch. I love mine with the tub in it.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 2:11 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Your local dealer may let you rent one or both for a day. The rent is then credited if you buy from them. I'm in between both as well & will probably rent both.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:31 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I had a chance to test out both this past weekend and confirmed my thoughts. The revo was more tippy feeling, but cut through the wind chop and waves so much better than the outback. The outback had more room for gear and flat space for mounts. I wish there was a hybrid between the two!

I'm still up in the air on what I'd like to do but glad I got a chance to try out both.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:52 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Personally, if I was going to buy a Revo again, as much as I like the 13. I'd go either bigger or smaller, probably both for different situations. The Revo 11 for light weight trips, hauling and heavy surf. Would start with this kayak. Then if I expanded my hobby I would go all the way for a totally different experience/range. The Tandem Island. That's it, those two kayaks would cover all situations I could think of for a Hobie kayak. If your comfortable with the Revolution, go with it, packing as light as possible makes for a much better experience daily.
The Outback isn't the most upgraded from kayak for no reason, great kayak but lacks versatility and speed. In no situation I can think does it become the number one Hobie kayak to use, the only one would be those folks who can't get used to the stability of a leaner kayak.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:05 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I don't use outriggers, but you can always buy em for tippy revos...