Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:02 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 7:35 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Fishing for trout is one of my favorites, especially in mountain lakes. Just curious what your favorite rig for trout fishing is?

Mine is trolling School o Minnow flashers with a spoon. Favorites are Kastmasters, Needlefish and Rooster Tails. I especially like trolling in the Hobie because I think 1.5-2mph is a sweet spot.

Fishing a trout tournament in October so always on the look out for ideas. If you aren't from Big Bear Lake in CA and interested in fishing the trout tournament too, it would be great to meet other Hobie owners in the area.

Zieman Trailer w/ Cradles

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:49 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I use a lot of the crappie jigs as of last year . I'm from San Diego, sound alike a interesting tournament, any more info you have on it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:50 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Mini jigs, and round lead heads with either plastic minnow or plastic worms

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:19 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

This was caught on a plastic minnow double dropper loop rig

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:42 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

My favorite lake is at 3200 ft elevation and as the surface water rises in the summer to around 68F, the trout go deeper as shown on my Humminbird sonar......in the 25 to 70 foot depth seeking colder/cooler water.
I use a down rigger and no flashers....just troll a 3" to 5" size flat fish, Quickfish or #6 silver blade spinner with a silver/blue body, about 75 feet behind my PA-14......this is not an unusual sized trout I bag......9# 13 oz, 29" long Rainbow.
A couple of summers back in early June, I hooked a 8.5# Rainbow on a "Wedding Ring" lure in 9' of water....at first I thought I had hooked a tree stump, but "the stump all of a sudden began to move"!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 4:44 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Dr.SteelheadCatcher wrote:
A couple of summers back in early June, I hooked a 8.5# Rainbow on a "Wedding Ring" lure in 9' of water....at first I thought I had hooked a tree stump, but "the stump all of a sudden began to move"!

A couple of years ago while we were on a whitewater kayak trip on the Little North Fork of the Clearwater River in Idaho, a friend was fishing a deep hole, and announced that he had caught his lure on a snag. While we were discussing options for getting the lure un-hooked, he twanged his line, and the "snag" took off like a torpedo and snapped his line. It was probably a big bull trout.