Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:06 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:46 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

filippodg wrote:
Had the same problem too. Never really worried, but fishing buddy kept pointing out how low in the water the back of my yak was.

SOLUTION:
I've added two 4"x20" pool noodles inside the back of my Hobie Outback and it makes a VERY noticeable difference. The back floats way above the water now! I'm talking at least 3 more inches. Night and day difference. Cheap mod worth investing in. Cheaper than buying another worthy investment, a float bag.

https://www.austinkayak.com/products/10 ... n-Bag.html

https://www.austinkayak.com/products/10 ... w-Bag.html

huh?? replacing fresh air with foam noodles make a yak more buoyant..I think more explanation to what you actually mean please

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:58 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Not much to explain besides what I stated. Pool noodles are filled with air. When you sit on your yak and your weight is pushing the back of your yak down, the noodles create some sort of resistance and don't allow it to "sink". It just works. I'll take pics this weekend to show you where I placed them, water level without them and with.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:01 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Also remember that air moves too. It escapes from holes or just disperse up front. On the other hand, pool noodles are in place in the back of the yak thus keeping air/buoyancy in place. Hope it makes sense, I'm no scientist. I just know I wanted to give it a try and it works beautifully.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:14 am 
Site Admin

Are they wedged into the aft area which is expanding the structure (keeping it full)? That would increase buoyancy possibly. If the hull compresses (under waterline) that would decrease buoyancy.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:37 am 
Site Rank - Captain

If you place a bubble level in the rear deck of your Outback you will see the deck slants down toward the rear. When the kayak is sitting level the rear of the deck sits .5 to 1 inch below the scuppers. The deck holds water but not much. It is just the way it is. As long as water is not getting inside the hull it isn't a problem. If you use a crate make sure you raise it slightly or whatever you put in bottom of crate will be wet.

If you are getting water inside the hull the most obvious suspect is the front hatch. If you get water over the front it's going inside.Brandon Barton posted a good fix on youtube and if you get a hatch liner it catches the water. But again, it usually isn't much water. Another possibility is that when you are pulling the kayak out of the water the rear is going under just enough for the rudder line exit to allow water to enter, but I can't see much water coming in that way.

Leave your hatches open when not on the water so the inside dries.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:43 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

RhysCNR wrote:
I have the same problem. I purchased a "2017" outback in dune, could be a 2016 model as I don't think there were any changes. The rear stern sits really low in the water. It takes on water in the cargo/tankwell area. I want to stress that water does NOT get inside the kayak. My gear in my Blackpak is soaked in about 2 inches of water. I have gone out with the scuppers plugged and unplugged, same result. The scuppers in the front of the cargo area does nothing because they are located towards the front and the water collects in the rear. I am 155lbs with about 20lbs of gear, and for a kayak rated at 400lbs is taking on water with 175lbs on board is concerning to me. I have a 2017 Pro Angler Camo and purchased this Outback for ocean fishing and I don't feel comfortable taking out to the sea as it is. My wife primarily uses the outback, she is 120lbs and does not fish. So no gear just a kindle and soft cooler for about 6 drinks. The soft cooler ends up completely soaked at the end of day. For a 2500$ I don't think this should even be an issue. Hopefully my dealer and Hobie can resolve this issue as I do love both boats.

I have this exact problem too. I even carry a cooler bag with 20lbs of ice in the front hatch and i still see a bunch of water in the rear cargo area. Very little water gets in the kayak, so that is not the problem. It really feels like it is sitting way too low. next time i am out i will try to take some pictures.

Last edited by sebby on Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:52 am 
Site Rank - Captain

filippodg wrote:
Not much to explain besides what I stated. Pool noodles are filled with air. When you sit on your yak and your weight is pushing the back of your yak down, the noodles create some sort of resistance and don't allow it to "sink". It just works. I'll take pics this weekend to show you where I placed them, water level without them and with.

Looking forwards to seeing the photo's. Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:05 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

filippodg wrote:
I've added two 4"x20" pool noodles inside the back of my Hobie Outback and it makes a VERY noticeable difference. The back floats way above the water now! I'm talking at least 3 more inches. Night and day difference. Cheap mod worth investing in. Cheaper than buying another worthy investment, a float bag.

This doesn't make any sense. If you put pool noodles inside the hull of a sit-on-top kayak, and the kayak fills up with water, the pool noodles will keep the kayak floating. But if you put a pool noodle weighing one pound inside a sit-on-top kayak, and there isn't any water inside the kayak, the effect on the kayak's flotation is the same as putting a one pound rock inside the kayak. The weight of the pool noodle will make the kayak float a tiny bit lower in the water. It certainly won't make the kayak float higher in the water. Like Zarbs, I look forward to seeing your photos.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:11 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Huh? Makes no sense? What?

I just provided a solution that actually works. I was skeptical too until I tried. No reason to make things up; just trying to help. It's $5 for a giant pool noodle. Try it, otherwise feel free to find other solutions.

Best

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:18 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Didn't take the time to take pre and post pics, but here's where I placed the pool noodles. 1 on each side. Yak floats 2-3" higher in the back.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:32 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

filippodg wrote:
Huh? Makes no sense? What?

I just provided a solution that actually works. I was skeptical too until I tried. No reason to make things up; just trying to help. It's $5 for a giant pool noodle. Try it, otherwise feel free to find other solutions.

Best

I am afraid your sollution interferes with the approved laws of physics mate!? I am afraid Archimedes (and myself) do not see that placing extra boyancy inside the hull will make any differance at all. To have any use of thoose noodles you have to place them outside/under the hull in the water mate to increase boyancy.
The ony time thoose noodles inside are going the make any difference is if the hull is completely filled with water, then they might add some boyancy.

Just the laws of psysics ....
All the best!
/Gustav

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:36 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Okay...

no matter what laws say, it works in my yak, and that's a fact. Anyhow.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:40 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

filippodg wrote:
Okay...

Put some more pool noodles in your Outback and see if it will float off the ground! And post pictures!

I have a suggestion: take the pool noodles out of the back of your Outback. Tape a ruler to the side of the kayak's rudder. Put the kayak in some very still water, like a swimming pool, with the rudder down. Take a picture of the ruler, showing the point where the surface of the water crosses the ruler. Then add two pool noodles to the back of the kayak, and take another picture of the ruler. My prediction: the ruler may be very slightly lower in the water, but because two pool noodles are quite light compared to the buoyancy of your kayak, the difference won't be very much. Remember, the Hobie web page says that Outbacks have a weight capacity of 400 pounds, so the weight of a pool noodle is trivial compared to that. Then add as many pool noodles to the back of your kayak as can be jammed into it. My prediction: the ruler will be even lower in the water, but again not by very much.

Last edited by pmmpete on Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:45 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Good luck.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:42 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

filippodg wrote:
Okay...

Thank god that braking the laws of physics is not a criminal offence (so please dont feel accused) but it sure is a hell of great achivement!! :)
Going faster then the speed of light on a regular highway would still count as one of thoose rear occasions!! The risk of getting caught is still very slim I guess! LOL!
:lol:
But your example is definately not a felony so dont worry!
:mrgreen:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next