Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:35 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:58 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Never plug the rear scuppers as however it sits it can get swamped in rough conditions. once that happens it will be ass down and unstable,. The rudder lines will be underwater and leak. Once at that angle water collected in the back cant fully drain out of the scuppers which are no longer at the low point. Hence Roadrunners solution to trim the boat with weight up front. I use an olive jar I fill with water and stick right up the nose, makes a huge difference for little extra total load.

A kayak is correctly trimmed when the bow wave starts right at the bow, which will have a sharper entry angle given less resistance and maximum effective water line.

As you tend to lean back in a pedal kayak the COG moves backwards compared to a paddle kayak, so the bow rises more rapidly when you set off. Some mistake this as "planing" and less resistance. But the angle of the hull tends to act like a brake against the water. Liken it to the airbrakes on an aeroplane.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:53 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for all the reply's!

I knew I sat low, but didn't think it would have such a drowning effect! What a dumb ss mistake. Guess I thought the Outback was unsinkable. Sure to not repeat this. I did many things wrong that day - Live and learn. But did do many things right - had my life jacket on, rods and gear tied down. I did lose all my fish, but who cares!

Was thinking the same idea of putting a jug of water up front to counter, along with sticking to essentials in the box where I use to carry a bunch of extra water.

I love my Outback. Owned it for a year now, and have used it many times. All my trips revolve around a lake or ocean. Truly has been the best boy toy ever!

Dave

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:41 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Rear hatch is a crap design , O-ring Patten-Pending is a leaker . Yes I know about it’s positioning and shape . I will say IT SHOULD NOT ROLL WHILE CLOSING . Hobie should have a retro fit for this issue . You can’t use it for storage if it LEAKS . Yes this is a big issue if you are running the added weight of a live well . So Admin guy what’s your fix .

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:48 am 
Site Rank - Captain

filippodg wrote:
Had the same problem too. Never really worried, but fishing buddy kept pointing out how low in the water the back of my yak was.

SOLUTION:
I've added two 4"x20" pool noodles inside the back of my Hobie Outback and it makes a VERY noticeable difference. The back floats way above the water now! I'm talking at least 3 more inches. Night and day difference. Cheap mod worth investing in. Cheaper than buying another worthy investment, a float bag.

https://www.austinkayak.com/products/10 ... n-Bag.html

https://www.austinkayak.com/products/10 ... w-Bag.html

I would really like to see the pictures of noodles , with and with out . You think about it , a boat/kayak hull is a container . This container sits in the water unless the kayak is full of water and noodles would just be a passenger in hull with no real job . Floation only comes in to play when hull is full of water .