Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:10 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:05 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have recently purchased a 2015 outback. Took it out on a very calm day to nearby lake and noticed one thing that bothered me. As the outback stands the way it is, stern of the kayak is sitting very low to the waterline. After around hour or so I check the rear cargo area where my h-create is stored, I noticed that there were about an inch high of water. I did have the wheel plugged in the scupper hole right behind the seat. Is this normal? Anyone of you guys with an outback experience this? I am just worried that on a very calm day I see that much of water, imagine if I take to the bay water with waves.. Any observation or opinion would be much appreciated.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:57 am 
Site Admin

Your weight in the boat as well? or when you were not in the boat? How much do you weigh?

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:41 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am approx 200lb.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:42 pm 
Site Admin

The Outback has a capacity of 400 lbs, so unless heavily loaded with gear in the rear and nothing balance loaded forward... that is a bit odd. They do squat down in the aft as you pedal... bow comes up like any power boat.

Check this one, lightly loaded but high and dry aft:

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:45 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The photo you posted is exactly how the outback should look on the water. Mine is definitely lower to the water than the photo even when there is no water in it. I don't have anything heavy on the back. Just a h-crate and few rods and very small cooler with couple of drinks. I have just purchased bilge pump to carry on the kayak just in case rear cargo area gets flooded. Guess I just have to deal with it... very disappointed.. needless to say..
I have another question...
Regarding a cart, I have a standard cart. Is there a way to just buy the wheels to upgrade to Heavy duty or Trax2? Will the width of the wheel fit the standard cart?
Thanks in advance...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:08 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

roneyk wrote:
I have just purchased bilge pump to carry on the kayak just in case rear cargo area gets flooded.

A bilge pump is a good thing to carry in your Outback in case you get water inside the hull of your kayak, but it won't reduce the amount of water in the rear cargo area, because the water must be entering the cargo area through the scupper holes. As you pump water out of the rear cargo area, new water will come in the scupper holes, and the water level in the rear cargo area will stay unchanged.

A question: Are the scupper holes in the rear cargo area blocked? If they are, and water splashes into the rear cargo area while you're kayaking, it won't be able to run out, and as the amount of water in the rear cargo area increases, the rear end of the kayak will sink deeper in the water.

If the scupper holes are open, I have no idea why the stern of your kayak is floating so low in the water that water is running in the scupper holes and flooding the rear cargo area. Has a friend with a rude sense of humor jammed several large rocks into the stern of your Outback? Have you understated your body weight by about 150 pounds? Is water leaking into the hull of your kayak, making it float low enough in the water so that water runs in the rear scupper holes and sits in the rear cargo area?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:17 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

When I checked the rear cargo area as the water gets flooded, I also noticed that very rear end of the cargo area has more water this indicated rear end of the kayak is dipped lower. I have a standard cart placed in the scupper hole upside down. Nowhere else on my kayak is leaking and there are no evidence of water anywhere else in the kayak. Only the rear cargo area so far. Guess I just have to use bilge pump to pump out the water as soon as water level is high enough. At least once every hour... probably...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:57 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

roneyk wrote:
When I checked the rear cargo area as the water gets flooded, I also noticed that very rear end of the cargo area has more water this indicated rear end of the kayak is dipped lower. I have a standard cart placed in the scupper hole upside down. Nowhere else on my kayak is leaking and there are no evidence of water anywhere else in the kayak. Only the rear cargo area so far. Guess I just have to use bilge pump to pump out the water as soon as water level is high enough. At least once every hour... probably...

My guess: The cart is blocking the scupper holes, which is preventing water from draining out of the rear cargo area. Try strapping the cart to the back of your kayak in the same location, but without putting the cart's tubes down the scupper holes, and see if the problem goes away.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:30 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have the same problem. I purchased a "2017" outback in dune, could be a 2016 model as I don't think there were any changes. The rear stern sits really low in the water. It takes on water in the cargo/tankwell area. I want to stress that water does NOT get inside the kayak. My gear in my Blackpak is soaked in about 2 inches of water. I have gone out with the scuppers plugged and unplugged, same result. The scuppers in the front of the cargo area does nothing because they are located towards the front and the water collects in the rear. I am 155lbs with about 20lbs of gear, and for a kayak rated at 400lbs is taking on water with 175lbs on board is concerning to me. I have a 2017 Pro Angler Camo and purchased this Outback for ocean fishing and I don't feel comfortable taking out to the sea as it is. My wife primarily uses the outback, she is 120lbs and does not fish. So no gear just a kindle and soft cooler for about 6 drinks. The soft cooler ends up completely soaked at the end of day. For a 2500$ I don't think this should even be an issue. Hopefully my dealer and Hobie can resolve this issue as I do love both boats.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:30 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Clearly there's some volume lacking in the stern of these Outbacks that are sitting reportedly way too low. Maybe the hull was squashed during transit, thus pushing volume out of the stern?? Take a look at this photo...this is roughly a 190 lb guy along with a crate full of bass tackle and a couple rods. Photos of your kayak would be helpful. Another thing: if you open the aft 8" round hatch and measure the distance between the inside of the bottom of the hull (bottom of center pontoon) to the lip of the hatch, it should measure about 6 1/2" to the lip at the front of hatch and about 6 1/4" to the aft lip of the hatch. If it's less than this, the possibility of hull deformation in transit could be suspect. Stern is sitting pretty here, just like it should:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:01 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If pumping water out actually makes a difference then your scupper holes are blocked. Try leaving your cart out. maybe the collars on the supports are completely blocking the holes. If scuppers are not blocked then water level will be at equilibrium with whatever water height the back is sitting at ( back lowers whilst under way). This means pumping would not make any difference as water would flow up scuppers as fast as you pump it out.

The revo 16/adventure cargo well will flood when underway (when front rises and rear drops as in any vessel under way), but then it sits far lower in teh water by design. The outback shouldn't other than temporary splashes over the side.

Goes without saying to ensure you dont have any excessive weight or water leakage in the rear inside of the hull.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:11 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Also if you put some weight up front in the hatch it should at least level the boat at rest so and residual ponding at the back of the tankwell will drain out the scuppers. Scuppers will never be 100% fully effective whilst a boat is tilted backwards underway when the scupper is no longer the lowest point and water can actually surge up the scupper. Anything stored in the tankwell needs to be waterproof.

So i guess the question is, does this remain an issue whilst at rest when the boat should be sitting at least close to level, and forward motion is not causing water to flow up?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:24 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Outback I was on the water today for 7yrs. Zero water on board , I would look very carefully at rear hatch seal . And it orientation in hatch cover . I weight 230lb the shore boats wakes from the inner harbor oil islands are huge . I carry my Scupper wheels with me while fishing . I also use my 180 drive in reverse a lot that doesn't seem bring any water in ether . At the end of a day I can use a small shop towel to wipe any water that is in there ather WASHING the boat down with a hose . I look at the rear seal for water intrusion , having a pump is smart PDF 100% all the time . You could do a test on hatch with GoPro inside hatch and flood the rear area . Review video for leaks

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:56 am 
Site Rank - Captain

fourtogo wrote:
Outback I was on the water today for 7yrs.

That's a long long day :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:55 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Had the same problem too. Never really worried, but fishing buddy kept pointing out how low in the water the back of my yak was.

SOLUTION:
I've added two 4"x20" pool noodles inside the back of my Hobie Outback and it makes a VERY noticeable difference. The back floats way above the water now! I'm talking at least 3 more inches. Night and day difference. Cheap mod worth investing in. Cheaper than buying another worthy investment, a float bag.

https://www.austinkayak.com/products/10 ... n-Bag.html

https://www.austinkayak.com/products/10 ... w-Bag.html