Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:05 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:34 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Can anyone tell me if there's enough material to mount a Scotty flush mount in the forward trays? It seems the screw holes of the mount may be close to the upward curve of the walls. Did the older Outbacks have wider trays? Thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:36 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

If a flush mount fits in the tray, use a standard flush mount, not a locking flush mount. The standard flush mount is sealed, but the locking mechanism on the locking flush mount leaks water.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:03 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I was able to install a flush mount backed by a 441 Backing Plate in the trays (one on each side). When drilling the holes and mounting the plate, had to watch so it didn't interfere with the rudder control cables.

The flush mounts are nice, but there's not a lot of clearance for the adjustment knob, for the tubes I'm using, I can put them at an angle so that they don't rub on the gunnel. I have a mini rod height extender that moves everything up enough if I use other rod holders.

If I were to do it again, I would use a 241 deck mount.

Here's a few pics of my mounts

Last edited by JJBat150 on Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:05 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Awesome! Thanks for the pics. I didn't want to do deck mount since they protrude above gunnel. I want to be able to easily load it upside down on my rack.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:55 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Finished install with Scotty backing (had a difficult time with the backing screws/nuts)

Used bungee to keep rudder lines out of the way while drilling holes

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:49 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

JJBat150 wrote:
If I were to do it again, I would use a 241 deck mount.

I use Scotty rod holders for trolling. I discovered that when I got a strike and grabbed my rod out of its holder, I often pulled the rod holder part of the way out of its 241 deck mount. Fortunately, due to the orientation of the rod holder, I always rotated the rod holder 180 degrees after initially engaging it in the 241 deck mount, so the rod holder wouldn't come all of the way out of the base. I have heard of people who pulled a rod holder all of the way out of its base and then lost it in the water. I replaced my 241 deck mount with a 241L locking deck mount, which works really well and eliminates that problem. If you are using 241 deck mounts for trolling, I recommend that you replace them with 241L deck mounts. For through-the-hull use, don't replace Scotty non-locking flush mounts with locking flush mounts, because the locking flush mounts aren't sealed, and will allow water to get inside your kayak through the locking mechanism.

If you don't replace 241 deck mounts with 241L deck mounts, be sure to rotate the rod holder before seating it in place, so it is less likely to come all of the way out of the deck mount. It may be necessary to turn the 241 deck mount 180 degrees to ensure that you will rotate the rod holder before seating it in place.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:00 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

pmmpete wrote:
JJBat150 wrote:
If I were to do it again, I would use VigRX Plus https://dudehung.com/vigrx-plus-review-results-2016 a 241 deck mount.
I have heard of people who pulled a rod holder all of the way out of its base and then lost it in the water. I replaced my 241 deck mount with a 241L locking deck mount, which works really well and eliminates that problem.

This has happened to me twice now. I'll give the 241L ago. Thanks.

Last edited by DownStream on Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:35 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have used the Scotty flush mounts on both my 2010 Outback and now my 2013 PA-14 and have never pulled the rod holder out of the base by mistake.
The flush mount has an "arrow" embossed in the top, so you install it with the arrow pointing inward to prevent unintended unlocking of the rod holder.

I think the natural tendency is to install the "port side" flush mount so the rubber cap strap is "forward"....If you do this, that makes it easy to unintentionally unlock the rod holder.
You can always drill another hole in the port flush mount, so the cap-strap can be attached facing the bow.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:59 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I often think about relocating my fishfinder mount into the recessed spot on my outback but I don't want to lose the little cubby. However I can't think of ever putting anything in there on the water. I use them to hold screws and tools when working on the kayak, but that's about it.
. Anyone use them for anything?

I too transport my outback upside down on my roof rack and the 1.5" ball from my RAM mount for my FF can be annoying when you try to slide the kayak along.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:33 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

What is the lowest angle you can lower the rod tubes with the flush mounts in the tray without an extender or it laying on the kayak hull? I am looking to do the same flush mounts in my 2015 outback but I want to get a little more feedback. Pictures would be appreciated. Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:48 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Unchained wrote:
I too transport my outback upside down on my roof rack and the 1.5" ball from my RAM mount for my FF can be annoying when you try to slide the kayak along.

that's why i went with a 1" ball in the front tray. it doesn't protrude up like the 1.5" ball.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:51 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

fuhrer48 wrote:
What is the lowest angle you can lower the rod tubes with the flush mounts in the tray without an extender or it laying on the kayak hull? I am looking to do the same flush mounts in my 2015 outback but I want to get a little more feedback. Pictures would be appreciated. Thanks!

i use the slip disc, so pretty much no angle restrictions...

http://www.amazon.com/Scotty-415-Slip-D ... B009SUAB84

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:24 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I too like the slip discs. In the configuration with the flush mount in the tray and utilizing the rod tube i don't see the issue of angle being the pre determined settings on the conventional rod holder without the slip discs but rather the physical contact between the tube and the side of the kayak if the tube is angled out over the side over the water. At what angle does the rod holder impact the boat hull without using the extender with having the flush mount in the bottom of the tray?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:59 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

My yak is hanging upside down from the rafters foe winter...I'll try to get some pictures and measurements of my set up in the next few days.

If I remember right, the tubes would drop pretty near horizontal - the issue was the hand knobs were what was hitting the hull and causing clearance issues.

Sent from my KFFOWI using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 11:20 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

hope this helps! tube is touching top of hull using slip dics

Last edited by agoodhi on Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.