Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:14 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:13 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

PERFECT! and Thanks. I don't always troll rods upfront like that but when I do it's usually for speckled trout (That sounded like a Dos XX's AD). Ill troll 4 lines and I like to have the front rod tips as close to the water surface as possible. I will be doing the installation today based on all of this. I'll post pictures when I can.

Anthony

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:48 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Here's a pic showing how tight the star nut is to the top of the hull. It isn't a problem if the rod is 90 degrees to the yak, but becomes a problem as you start swinging the rod tip forward.

If I were to add the slip discs, how much further would it move the star nut out ?

With the slip discs, do you need to still need to loosen up the star nut to adjust the angle ?

Sent from my KFFOWI using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:24 am 
This is very helpful. I have same issues.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 3:08 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have one pair of Scotty slip discs installed and the star nut moves out by ~ 0.35"......slightly under 3/8". In fact, the1/4 x 20 bolt is just short or reaching the last thread in the nut.

Unless you really torque down the adjusting nut, the slip discs alloy the user to make adjustments to the angle of the rod holder that are "in-between" the "fixed teeth spacing".
That is the whole idea with the design and it works very well.

You could also consider grinding/removing about 3/16" off the ends of the plastic star nut for more clearance.....that would still leave enough material to hand tighten/loosen the star nut.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:27 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

JJBat150 wrote:
With the slip discs, do you need to still need to loosen up the star nut to adjust the angle ?

if you don't tighten too tight you can still adjust angle by overcoming friction.

btw, my last set of scotty slip dics came with a longer bolt.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 4:03 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yes, you can still adjust the angle by using two hands....one on the base and then one the end of the rod holder.

When I bought the slip disks, there was not an option for a longer bolt a couple of years ago or at least I was not aware of it.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:50 am 
Unchaied wrote:
I often think about relocating my fishfinder mount into the recessed spot on my outback but I don't want to lose the little cubby. However I can't think of ever putting anything in there on the water. I use them to hold screws and tools when working on the kayak, but that's about it.
. Anyone use them for anything?

I too transport my outback upside down on my roof rack and the 1.5" ball from my RAM mount for my FF can be annoying when you try to slide the kayak along.

for me i find this in the configuration with the flush mount in the tray and utilizing the rod tube i don't see the issue of angle being the pre determined settings on the conventional rod holder without the slip discs but rather the physical contact between the tube and the side of the kayak

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:13 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have heard of people who pulled a rod holder all of the way out of its base and then lost it in the water. I replaced my 241 deck mount with a 241L locking deck mount, Shiza which works really well and eliminates that problem.

Last edited by Arydigital on Mon May 07, 2018 3:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:18 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'd suggest adding an extension to your Scotty rod holder. This way, the adjustment knob will be about 6" above the gunnel and wouldn't interfere with the lip of the trays.

EXTENDER ADJUSTABLE 6.5"
US$ 15.49

If you prefer this one, we've got 57 on hand - after that, this one's discontinued:
ROD HOLDER HEIGHT EXTENDER 6.5
US$ 14.99

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:23 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

his is the perfect mount for Scotty accessories. It's easy to install and best of all, it will accept rod holders AND lights, so you can switch your gear around as needed. I use these on my entire fleet of canoes, yaks, and boat, simply grabbing what I need for whichever rig I'm taking at the time. Between the flush mount and the surface mounts all my lights and holders can go where I want them in seconds.