Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:08 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Lowrance elite TI
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:51 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

StickiestLizard, I wish I would have found your picture of the transducer mount yesterday as I gave up and had a Lowrance Hook 5 installed after being told the Elite 5 will not work! I really wanted this unit because of the picture quality, the touchscreen and the options, but now I have about half of the screen quality.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:32 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

cdan1984 wrote:
May I ask why you had enough for you raymarine unit? I am actually choosing in between

Yes, please. I'm considering the same two units.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:47 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello, new Outback owner here with a 7 Carbon with TotalScan coming in. Been researching these forums, YouTube and Google for a bit so got a decent picture of how I probably want to solve my specific setup, but there's always good to ask others with some more experience, maybe I'm missing something.. :)

Very important note: I will be moving my 7 Carbon and TotalScan between my kayak and a number of different boats, so it needs to easy to install/remove on the go!

Mounting position: I know that occationally I'll be chasing walleye and pike vertically, so having the transducer mounted somewhere near where the tip of my rod would be preferred in front of a hull mount. I.e. a transducer arm mount solution, most likely it would have to be on the side I don't have the anchor trolley. Sounds correct?

Mounting solution: Well, there's a few options here, with their pros and cons.
a) The super simple way is to use a magnet or suction cup. It works for a starters but isn't ideally in the long run - major reason is simply when you hit shore or very low water levels. An arm will let you swing up the transducer, a magnet or cup means you have to crawl across the deck to physicly remove it. Not great.
b) Arm mounted to a RAM ball or a gear track. Tried and tested method. Will work for sure
c) Arm mounted to a H-Rail.. now this is what I'm considering. I want to install the 21" H-Rail upgrades at the front left/right on my Outback, so I can quickly snap on and off and adjust position of the Lowrance unit, some rod holders for trolling, the transducer, maybe even a camera arm. It's a similar solution to the b) I just mentioned, just more flexible, should be "better" in my eyes. I'm thinking of mounting the transducer arm to a H-Rail Mounting Plate (Art.nr: 84622001).

Important question on the mounting position tho: How far down do I need to position the TotalScan? Below the hull levels obviously, but in proximity to the fins? If I use an arm and mount it at a rods length front/right of me, there's a chance it'll end up not too far off level with the fins..

Buy vs DIY:
Obviously there's a bunch of arms that will do similar to what I want it to. There's the RAM 18" Transducer LSS-1&2-mount, there's the Scotty arm. Both flexible/adjustable length. In Sweden (where I live) they cost a fortune tho, we're looking at generally 60 USD or more plus shipping.. so it's just making sense to build your own. I'm thinking a simple L-shape arm. One thing I'm considering: to buy the 15mm magnet-transducer fast-attachment, for use in boat, then when I'm in the kayak I will just have a transducer arm with a plate at the bottom where I attach the magnet. Major question there is the stability of the arm so it's not flexing too much.

What do you think about my thoughts on this, am I missing something? Ideas? Your own experiences?
Thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:18 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Not what you want to hear but I had the arm bracket and got the transducer hole plate when it came out. The arm got caught up on branches (bass fishing timber) and was in the way while landing fish and moving around. I also got my line wrapped around it a lot whether it be fixing a backlash or fish flopping around. Would buying another transducer be out of the question?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:24 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Sorry for the late reply-
Raymarine- horrible picture, unreliable, had to mess with software a few times. The 7ti was flawless and a huge improvement. I have since gotten a bass boat with humminbird 9 helix and a 10 Onix. I would sell them also and get Lowrance units if I wouldn't lose a bunch of money. They work well but still like Lowrance more. Raymarine- never again for me.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:18 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

any link where i can find a visual guide of installing the totalsczn transducer inside by the front hatch of the PA14?