Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:17 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Lowrance elite TI
PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:31 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Ok I have had enough of my dragonfly 5pro. I have been looking for something new. I was considering a elite 7 hds gen2 but just found out about the Lowrance elite ti that comes in a 5 and 7 inch screen. I plan to get this if everything works out at bass pro. When I got my dragonfly I got the gear guard from bass pro. Mr. Miller or any Hobie employee in the know, will this drop in a 2015 Outback like the other lowrance products? I ordered a new transducer/Hobie plate since I had to modify my last one. The little bit of reading on the elite ti has me really excited as a bass fisherman looking to find more structure to fish. Please add any helpful info. Msrp for the 7" touch screen is less than $800 which seems awesome considering the options it has. Hopefully it lives up to my expectations. I won't miss that raymarine one bit. Great screen when it worked......

Post subject: Re: Lowrance elite TI
PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:44 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Here is a link to Lowrance for those interested. Hopefully basspro gets them soon

http://www.lowrance.com/en-US/Products/ ... en-us.aspx

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:24 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I do not believe you are going to be able to use that transducer in the Lowrance ready well. It appears that the total scan transducer is approximately the same size as the side scan transducer (about 11" Long). You would probably also pick up interference from the hull on the side scan.

Transducer install instructions are available at:
http://www.lowrance.com/en-US/Products/Sonar/TotalScan-Skimmer.aspx

You may be able to install it on the bottom side of the Hobie mounting plate. This would allow for a permanent install without having to do a mounting arm off the side. You would risk damage in shallow water, beaching or transport. At $300 for a new transducer, I'm not sure I would risk it.

I have the HDS 7 Touch with 2 transducers. I have run the standard transducer through the Lowrance Ready well and have the side scan transducer on a ram mount. Depending on depth and species I am after, I don't always use the side scan on the ram mount.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:50 am 
Site Rank - Captain

It was mentioned under their paddlesport section of their site which specifically mentions Hobie. I hope I am reading this right. The YouTube video for the product also mentions peddle kayaks which I hope they mean Hobie.

20 seconds in. Mentions peddle driven kayak
http://youtu.be/rHx2P_jgLkg

http://www.lowrance.com/en-US/Products/Paddlesports/

Update reading more about it, 1st not expected till February 2nd one web page stated it would be a one all transducer which would be crazy.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 11:44 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

The Elite TI will be sold with the standard "Downscan" transducers as one option or the new "Totalscan" transducers as a different option. The Downscan ones will fit in the Hobie Lowrance ready mounts but he Totalscan ones will be too long.

So if you want to use the Totalscan transducer you will have to mount it as mentioned by KeuKayak

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 6:14 am 
Site Rank - Captain

thanks. I will be looking forward to more info and a solid release date. I was really liking the side scan idea. Either way it will be an upgrade from my current headache.

As obvious I don't know a lot about chart plotter/FF. I was under the assumption that di and si used the same transducer. I didn't know about the 2nd. Now I understand more thanks to y'all. The ti will use one transducer either option you choose, but if you use structure scan/side image you will need the longer transducer and it would not fit the Lowrance ready transducer plate area. If I'm wrong I will edit my post. Hopefully this will help others like me.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 8:53 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have the Elite-7 Ti on order with the TotalScan transducer. I expect I will have to mount the transducer on a RAM arm, like I'm presently using with StructureScan.

Hopefully Hobie will design the Lowrance scupper mount to accept SideScan transducers in the future.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 6:48 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

GetBent wrote:
It was mentioned under their paddlesport section of their site which specifically mentions Hobie. I hope I am reading this right. The YouTube video for the product also mentions peddle kayaks which I hope they mean Hobie.

20 seconds in. Mentions peddle driven kayak
http://youtu.be/rHx2P_jgLkg

http://www.lowrance.com/en-US/Products/Paddlesports/

Update reading more about it, 1st not expected till February 2nd one web page stated it would be a one all transducer which would be crazy.
those look amazing. Wonder how quick the processors are, as that has been the drawback on the lowrance products I've used/tested.

The first half of that commercial is awful. It seems like someone at the lowrance marketing department just bought a sales book titled 'Don't just sell your product, sell a lifestyle!'

I'd rather have more information. It almost seems like they tried to get the commercial out before they knew much about the product.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:50 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I'm ready. :)

The holes on 72023037 RAM 18” MOUNT STRUCTER SCAN 1&2 doesn't fit on the new TotalScan transducer.
I used the metal plate from the mount kit of the sonar as a template to drill the holes.

Also I replaced the standard 1'' RAM Single Socket Arm with Octagon Socket with RAM 1.5" Diameter Single Socket Arm with Octagon Socket.

The Lowrance GoFree Controller app works perfect on my iPad.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:33 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I went with the new Scotty transducer mount. I had to modify things a little to attach the transducer bracket to the Scotty arm.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:21 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Jonny,
Your install with the RAM arm looks good, and I now find myself in exactly the same situation - Hobie Revolution with a new Totalscan transducer ready to install.
I am currently weighing up the options, and was interested in whether the RAM arm would fit - I guessed it might just be a case of drilling new holes, but thanks for confirming that.
I note that you upgraded the ball size, so I'm guessing that the stock 1" ball simply wasn't up to it? How does the 1.5 perform? Is it solid or does it move over time?
I'm currently thinking about knocking something up from aluminium (yes - I'm English) bar (say, 60mm x 3mm) and using a RAM ball as the connector to the yak. However if the RAM arm works well that might be the easier option. How far under the water does the 'ducer sit? Do you get clear sidescan coverage on both sides of the yak?

Sorry for all the questions :)
thanks,
Matt

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:21 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Very good questions Matt. I would be interested in depth of the transducer needed to clear the drive fins. It almost looks like the totalscan transducer needs to be mounted on something like a powerpole to get it down on an arm that's longer than 24" if your peddling. At that depth your probably going to miss any fish around the surface, and have a lot of drag and torque on the arm. While sail/trolling 18" may be ok. I would like to mount the transducer on the rear aka using the starport aka mount. It may be another season before this all gets worked out. Also some actual user reviews about refresh rates and if there are blurry images while moving under sail or from wobble of the mount. How about a RC boat type pod that holds the battery, transducer, and maybe the head next to the hull and transmits to your google glasses type heads-up remote display with camera to record the action? A tow-able module?

Search: Garmin Varia Vision Heads-Up Display

For a heavy duty mount/arm checkout - Seamax Deluxe 4x4 Boat Launching Wheels Set
They will sell one arm unit. without the wheel, then adapt the total scan bracket. 3.25 lbs for the bracket & telescopic arm
Then, two Railblaza aka mounts without the starport head for the Seamax arm to attach to the rear AI aka. A hydrodynamic front edge would help reduce drag. I'll try a half round PVC tube on the front and back of the square tube with shrink tube or soft tubing over it for a foil shape. I also have windsurfing fins the I can use for the in water portion of the arm.

Last edited by 1776 on Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:03 am, edited 13 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:44 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The beam for the side scan transducer is very focused to the right and left of the transducer itself. We have this same transducer installed on my dads Ranger, just under the jackplate between the outboard motor and the hull of the boat. So basically what I am saying is that it does not need to be below the mirage fins, it just needs to be below the lowest point of the hull in the water, and anywhere in front of/or behind behind the fins. Lowrance actually advises against putting the transducer on the bottom on the boat. But I am sure that is more for protection of the transducer than performance. A friend of mine has his mounted on the transom of his kayak and it works great for him. Me personally, as much as I have my boats in the thick of it all, I would have knocked it of the first time out.

I really like the idea of the ram transducer arm with the side scan transducer on it, and having the downscan, standard transducer mounted in the lowrance ready opening under the kayak. Best of both worlds, and if you don't need side scan because your fishing for crappie over brush piles, versus looking for lunkers on the shore, you just leave the transducer arm up or in the front hatch.

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100005695487937

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 4:03 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The Ram arm turned out to be a little hard to get over here (UK) and quite expensive (would need to ship it over), so I've gone with the alu idea. The basic plan is to bend some 3mmx50mm bar and attach this to the middle set of screws on the TS transducer, through a fresh piece of 200mmx60mm sheet (that replaces the stainless bracket that ships with the TS). It struck me that attaching to end of the TS transducer simply isn't necessary when side mounting in this fashion (although of course it is necessary when attaching to a transom). By attaching to the middle I should get far less rotational force on the mount - the thing should just balance nicely. Top of the alu bar will be fixed to a RAM octagon button which then connects to a short 1.5" RAM ball -> octagon connector, and on to a 1.5" ball on a track. I think this is going to work nicely, with only the edge of the aluminium bar to obstruct water flow - so less resistance than the RAM mount. We'll see - I'm still waiting on a few of the bits, but I will post a picture up here when I am done.

Here's an extremely bad drawing, but hopefully you get the idea:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:18 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Well I finally got it done. I used a RAM mount on a track, with a length of 50x3mm alu (which only required a very slight bend), joined to another section of alu which replaced the stock transducer mount. To join them I used a short piece of alu angle, riveted and JBWelded. Seems more than strong enough, and the support is mounted to the middle set of holes which should keep things nicely balanced.
Not the most handsome bit of engineering I grant you, but it should have minimal drag.

Will get her out tomorrow for a test run..