Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:23 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 11:43 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Has anyone started to mount their gear slide tracks and/or fish finder on the new yaks? I'm wondering how the foam padding in the side trays and cup folder impact mounting hardware. Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 1:13 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

You will need to remove the foam under the track or mount if you want a firm seat.

I have never been even remotely hesitant to drill holes in a yak before this one....

I am going with 3M VHB ( do a google search on it ) tape for mounting most of my accessories. It will hold anything, just do not use a citrus cleaner on it. I used it on mounting my Humminbird SI on my PA last year and it has never loosened.

best of luck, Phill

www.dallascnc.com

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:23 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks Carver! Do you have any pictures of your gear mounted with this tape? Just looking for some ideas. I see some people have gone with the H bar instead. Similar this. Image

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:13 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm not near my yaks for a couple of days to get a pic, but I only use it when I have a bit of surface area like under a track or under my exterior led lights. It is just a really strong double sided tape. 3m claims on aluminum to aluminum it is stronger than a weld. They have some pretty impressive videos where the tape joint out does a weld when tested for impact from a falling bowling ball repeatedly.

I have also used it to secure some 1" ram balls for other things.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:56 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I would recommend instead stick to gear tracks that are flush against the hull. You can add a ton of different attachments too, but keeps a low profile. The H Rails will get bang up like that. People will try and use them as handles and makes it tuff to store the boat sometimes too. Just my 2cents.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk