Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:17 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 5:56 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hobie pro 17:

Installed a Livewell XL, following instructions. Pump runs, water pick up is about 3/8" below boat hull, pick up hose openings are toward the front of the boat. I could not get it to pick up water and pump, despite several attempts. My wife and I had it up to about 5 miles per hour and nothing.
If you have any ideas on what I might look for, please let me know.

WestHautianPlen

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:25 pm 
Site Admin

Check the intake o-ring seat at the tank. If the o-ring is not fully seated you can loose suction there. You might have to trim off the pump threads a bit.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:15 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Any update in your priming issue? I got the same result last weekend. I have to fill it up with water manually just to get it to work. I'll test again this weekend and start the pump when I reach my max speed. After reaching 4 mph, turn on the pump and set my timer.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 12:56 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

One other thing I noticed is the switch. If I move the switch up to the on position with my fingers holding it until it reaches the end, it does not work. I have to tap the area around the switch. But if I just push the switch till the middle position and let it go, it works.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 1:10 pm 
Site Admin

We quit shipping XL Livewells some months ago due to the switch issue and have just received a possible solution. The switches are glass with inert gas inside. They seem to crack in some instances and that allows the reed switch filaments to corrode and stop working consistently. It this is the case the fix is easy. We have to pot the glass reed switches in silicone instead of epoxy. If his works that we will have a switch replacement kit. Still months away.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 2:52 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

mmiller wrote:
We quit shipping XL Livewells some months ago due to the switch issue and have just received a possible solution. The switches are glass with inert gas inside. They seem to crack in some instances and that allows the reed switch filaments to corrode and stop working consistently. It this is the case the fix is easy. We have to pot the glass reed switches in silicone instead of epoxy. If his works that we will have a switch replacement kit. Still months away.

Matt, My XL switch quit working. It was always on as soon as you connected the battery. I called my Hobie dealer on this issue, and this week they sent me 2 plastic pieces with a part number written on the bag - no instructions. Any idea what i'm supposed to do with them? I was expecting a new switch.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:11 am 
Site Admin

We had a fix that was not quite working. Those would be spacers for behind the switch. The reeds are getting broken and gas escapes which allows the reeds to corrode. Engineers are still working on a fix.

I'm in China at an event so not able to read forums.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:27 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I just cut the wires and now just plug and unplug it directly without any issues.. Its because of a magnetic system that does not read through the plastic sometimes... if you unscrew the switch you will see there is no connection what so ever to the main system and if you touch the inside it will start as soon as you touch it...

I just cut the wire inside and now have a direct connection where the switch was...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:21 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
I just cut the wire inside and now have a direct connection where the switch was...

This was 100% corrected some time ago. THe original reed switches were getting cracked and releasing an inert gas that protected them from corrosion. If you have a switch that is defective... there is a kit to replace it.

72021053 Reed switch replacement kit

mmiller Nov 10, 2016 wrote:
Hobie® Livewell XL is back on the market!

72020072 HOBIE LIVEWELL XL $419.00 (USA / USD 11-2016)

Following the initial release of the Livewell XL came a number of reports relating to faulty reed switches. With this discovery, we decided to take the Livewell XL off the market until a permanent solution could be made to fix this issue.

We’re happy to announce that Hobie® has reached a permanent solution in the form of a newly redesigned and thoroughly tested reed switch, and we are pleased to be putting the highly anticipated Livewell XL back on the market.

What caused the original reed switches to fail?

• Our magnetic reed switch incorporates two metal contacts within an inert gas-filled sealed glass tube. Due to a combination of issues, the glass tube was unpredictably cracking and causing the switch to lose function due to a loss of the gas and then corrosion of the contacts.

• The original switch housing was snug around the glass tube and potted with a hard epoxy, creating an environment where some deflection in the switch could cause the glass to crack.

What’s new about the redeveloped reed switches?

• In order to remedy the issue, we redesigned the housing with more internal space around the glass body and substantial ribs to limit possible deflection. We then potted the glass reed switch tube in a soft silicone sealant. The redesign of the switch housing prevents flex while also providing open space around the glass tube to prevent it from cracking should any flex occur. This enables the original intended benefit of a sealed contact that will not corrode. This is a huge improvement over other available marine switches on the market.

We have a high level of confidence that the new switch is significantly more durable, and capable of withstanding a wide variety of conditions over time.

Retrofit kits for consumers

If you’ve purchased a Livewell XL with its original reed switch, we are offering the newly redesigned reed switch along with everything needed to install it (72021053 Reed switch replacement kit ), free of charge via our warranty claim process. Contact your dealer.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:57 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I just bought this:

http://LivewellPrimer.com

It is amazing to fix livewell priming problem!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:49 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

RAPALA wrote:
I just cut the wires and now just plug and unplug it directly without any issues.. Its because of a magnetic system that does not read through the plastic sometimes... if you unscrew the switch you will see there is no connection what so ever to the main system and if you touch the inside it will start as soon as you touch it...

Seems like that on/off switch was way over engineered to the point it was rendered useless...after spending many days on the water with a full battery on the live well but unable to get it to run I decided to straight wire mine too. Now when I plug in the battery it works, every time all the time. Done.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:47 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Seems like that on/off switch was way over engineered to the point it was rendered useless

This was only an issue in early tanks... several years ago.

Fixed and works great!

Quote:
mmiller Nov 10, 2016 wrote:

In order to remedy the issue, we redesigned the housing with more internal space around the glass body and substantial ribs to limit possible deflection. We then potted the glass reed switch tube in a soft silicone sealant. The redesign of the switch housing prevents flex while also providing open space around the glass tube to prevent it from cracking should any flex occur. This enables the original intended benefit of a sealed contact that will not corrode. This is a huge improvement over other available marine switches on the market.

We have a high level of confidence that the new switch is significantly more durable, and capable of withstanding a wide variety of conditions over time.

Retrofit kits for consumers

If you’ve purchased a Livewell XL with its original reed switch, we are offering the newly redesigned reed switch along with everything needed to install it (72021053 Reed switch replacement kit ), free of charge via our warranty claim process. Contact your dealer.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:22 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Bought a used live well , works great primes in like 5-6 feet of forward motion

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:41 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Is there a XL V2 coming out soon ?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:34 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Skinnee wrote:
Is there a XL V2 coming out soon ?

There's no planned release of an XL V2 at this time. The original Hobie Livewell was redesigned to match the features and functionality of the XL. Both models have the redesigned reed switch, which have been extremely reliable since it's release last year.