Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:34 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Trolling Baits Inquiry
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:04 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I am taking up lake fishing outside of Omaha. Any bait suggestions that work well while gently pedaling/sailing across a lake. Lakes are stocked with Bass, Crappie, trout,and a number of others.

2016 Tandem Island on a Trailex Aluminum trailer being towed by a
Triumph Scrambler Motorcycle..

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 1:53 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Crankbaits. Keep in mind that when trolled they will go a lot deeper than their maximum depth when cast and retrieved. Get a copy of the boat, Precision Trolling and don't look back. It is perhaps the deadliest method yet devised for catching fish in lakes. Beg, borrow or steal a copy. Being able to precisely locate a lure at a specific depth within inches is the difference between trolling, and just dragging something behind your boat.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:06 am 
Site Rank - Captain

One of the best bangs for the buck would be Berkeley Flicker shad or Cotton Cordell walleye divers. They work great for several species of fish. Dakota Angler in Sioux Falls, SD sells Rapala Shad Raps of
all varieties for 5.99. Some other lures I use include Mepps Spinners and Rooster tails of all sizes for northern pike, bass, and crappie. Salmo also makes some small divers that work awesome for bass and aggressive crappie.

-2012 Seabird Design Expedition LV
-1987 Hobie 16
-2010 Stellar SES
-Hobie Fleet 291 Yankton, SD
-South Dakota Canoe and Kayak Association

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:32 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Spinner-baits. you dont have to be as careful with depth as you do with cranks. If they drag against the bottom or through weeds they will not get hung up near as often as a crank-bait. You have less control with depth but they are simpler

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:43 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I second the recommendation for the Berkely Flicker Shad, my go-to trolling bait for walleye, wipers, and even channel cats.

For very slow trolling or drifting, a bottom bouncer rig with either a nightcrawler or a Gulp minnow on a spinner. Deadly.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:07 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Storm 3" and 4" swimbaits. I catch Redfish and speckled trout with these baits - the trout especially just cannot leave them alone. I have had bull Redfish crush them. A very effective lure with good action to the paddletail. I find the 3" baits trolled at less than 2 knots are perfect. I am usually in 2-4 feet of water. Use the bigger / heavier 4" bait for deeper water. They also come in 5" and 6" sizes. I always have at least one out when moving and more often than not, that bait is what gets hit. The single upturned hook doesn't snag and is safer in the cockpit. They also work great on LMB's in local ponds. They are usually less than $4 for a pack of 3. Cheap. They come in enough colors for you to match the hatch - I have caught speckled trout on almost every color.